Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Want To replace carb, what size should i replace it with?

HELP WITH CARB!!!

Hey everybody. Well I havent posted in this thread for awhile so Ill update. I finally tore back into the carb and some needles were broke. i replaced them and it still ran like hell. so I am going to just put on an edelbrock. My question to you guys, WHICH SIZE? 600,650, or 750? Ive seen alot of stuff above, but no difinitive answers. Also do I get an electric or manual choke? I dont really know the difference. Its a 75 vette. so anymore help would be appriciated.
Thanks Yet again,
Dillon

Hey everybody. Well I havent posted in this thread for awhile so Ill update. I finally tore back into the carb and some needles were broke. i replaced them and it still ran like hell. so I am going to just put on an edelbrock. My question to you guys, WHICH SIZE? 600,650, or 750? Ive seen alot of stuff above, but no difinitive answers. Also do I get an electric or manual choke? I dont really know the difference. Its a 75 vette. so anymore help would be appriciated.
Thanks Yet again,
Dillon

I'd stay away from the larger size carbs if you have an L48. I'd send out a PM to GM Junkie and get his take on carb size.

FWIW... Holley makes a spreadbore carb replacement for the Qjet- so it will fit your OEM intake. With any standard bore carb, you'll need either a new intake or an adapter plate.

A manual choke is a lot easier to "control" but needs a cable - which is another issue altogether. I'm always wondering if the choke is working properly with electric and if someone has had a go at the carb , you invariably find the elec choke fiddled with and you have to wait till the engine is dead cold to set it correctly. I assume its probably set properly from the factory , but you never know...
Generally I remove chokes completely on carbs and just drive with 2 feet (auto) till the car warms up enough to not die. Or I take the easy way out and just bump up idle speed a bit :)

However , I am in a warm climate and generally dont drive much in winter cos its rainy etc. We never get snow .

Thanks Yet again,
Dillon

HI Dillon; I'd stay with a 600-650cfm if you are basicly stock L-48. If you have alot of mods then maybe larger. As for the choke, go electric. You'll have to run a key on hot wire to it and maybe a ground wire for hook-up. It all depends on what you have now. It's all very easy. Remenber if you a stock intake you'll need an adapter to put the square bore Edelbrock on.

Also if you are interested I have a good 600 Edelbrock carb setting in the shop I'd sell for $150 +shipping.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

Ok thanks for all the help. What kind of adapter will I need for an edelbrock. Will I be able to bolt it on and go from the box?
Thanks

Ok thanks for all the help. What kind of adapter will I need for an edelbrock. Will I be able to bolt it on and go from the box?
Thanks

You'll need a Spreadbore to Squarebore adapter, they cost around $25-$35. Most good parts stores should have them or online from Jegs & Summit Racing. Bolt it on wire up the electic, if that's what you get, and fire it up. You will need to adjust the idle jet and may have to modify the cable bracket slightly to get it to bolt to the new carb. All of these are very simple to do.

I put a squarebore Holley on one of my other vettes and it took about an hour altogether. As I say earlier I have one that was tuned to a 350 setting here for half the cost of a new one.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gary

Hi there Gary. Where would I find the specs to tune the carb to a 350? How many miles are on the carb you have for sale?
Thanks Again
Dillon

I went ahead and got a great deal on an edelbrock 1406 carb and edelbrock 2101 intake. now my question is how do I tune it. the guy i bought it from ran it on a 70 nova with a 305 sbc. Are the specs much different for a 305 sbc and a 350sbc?
Thanks for everybodys help,
Dillon
P.S. Gary go ahead and pm the other poster interested in your carb, thanks again Gary.

Hi Dillon

The carb may be alittle lean if tuned for a 305. Myself I'd put it on and try it; If the 305 was build it my run just fine. You may need to change the jets and or metering rod, but shouldn't be any big deal. Someone else here should know what sizes & numbers you may need. I'm really a Holley guy. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Gary

Hi Gary, where could I find the specs to tune the carb to a 350. do the edelbrock kits come with whats needed, jets springs and instructions?
Thanks

You mite try the Edelbrock website and look at either the carb or tech sections. Also you can try your local speed or carb shop in your area.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom