Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WANTED: Honest report.

F

fade94

In researching online last night, I saw a few reviews that hated the ride quality of the Z06 on the street. Also complaints about road noise and the gear box.
How bad is it really? I really want a Z06 but I want to be somewhat comfortable.

HI there,
First, you are purchasing a race car with some comfort features if you are buying ZO6.
So many people look at the horsepower numbers and thats it.
Stiffer suspension then Z51 by a little bit.
Shorter profile tires then coupe and convertible.
Aluminum frame changes accoustics within the vehicle slightly.
High capacity brakes may make noise when cold.
Exhaust at WOT is louder.
Gearbox is always a little noisy on ALL models, due to torque capacity and the torque tube, rear mounted transmission arrangement.
My suggestion, drive a coupe with Z51 and a six speed.
Gearbox and ride will be comparable.
Roadnoise and accoustics will a slightly less then ZO6.
Allthebest, c4c5

In researching online last night, I saw a few reviews that hated the ride quality of the Z06 on the street. Also complaints about road noise and the gear box.
How bad is it really? I really want a Z06 but I want to be somewhat comfortable.

I guess it just depends on the individual. I have made a few trips with mine and I have had nothing to complaint about. Hell I guess if someone is looking for a limo ride, then they should just buy a limo. Of course I have never been a fan of all of the new super quiet cars. (Though I have not seen any statistics or surveys, I feel some of these super quiet cars have probably lead to some accidents by more then a few drivers) I have always liked to be able to have some seat-of-the-pants feel when driving, and not maybe doing near a 100 MPH without realizing it unless I am looking at the speedometer. ;shrug

And what do I drive? :upthumbs

Exactly. I am a BIG fan of the performance feel. But since my motorcycle accident, my body is a little sensitive to the things I enjoy. If I could find ANYPLACE to actually drive an auto and a stick, I could make my decision pretty easily. Of course, the plan is to take the Vette to the track on a regular basis.

Buy the Z06. If you have come the Vette because of a motorcycle accident, wlecome to the club. After my second broken neck my doctor strongly suggested a new mode of transportation. It's been 14 years and 8 Vettes for me. I love my 07 Z and the ride is not as bad as they say. What he said: If you want a limo ride buy a limo.

The decision has been made. Going to order an black on black 08' Z. Will end up putting black aftermarket wheels on it since gray is the darkest from GM that I can find. Also going to do NCM delivery and will make plans to attend all the NCM events from then on.

The decision has been made. Going to order an black on black 08' Z. Will end up putting black aftermarket wheels on it since gray is the darkest from GM that I can find. Also going to do NCM delivery and will make plans to attend all the NCM events from then on.
Did I read somewhere there's going to be a "limited edition" Z06 for 2008MY that will be Crystal Red? The 2008 tranny is different. The steering is supposed to give better "feel." The wheels you choose are a personal choice, however, you might want to go with larger diameter wheels. DON'T DO THIS! Your suspension is tuned for the stock wheel weight. It is easy to mess this balance up. (Besides, 20" rub on the rear quarter panels.)

Solid decision. The Z is a great everyday ride. If my old self is comfortable, anyone should be. IMHO the Z rides better than my 05 Z51. No flex or rattles at all! Pick a color and look forward to a great ride.

Let's back up a little bit here. The ride quality depends entirely on the smoothness of the street. The Z06 is quite a bit stiffer than a Z51. Quite a bit. If the road surface is "combed," then the chassis and tire noise will be in their element. Because of the way the rear glass is shaped, it created a perfect "amplifier" for road noise. It is even aimed at the driver/pass compartment. The only way to reduce tire noise is to replace the tires with the quieter tread pattern or with an insulation kit. Since there are no other choices for 325/30-19 rubber (yet) the insulation is the way to go. I hear the P-car 997 has this size rubber, so we'll have something other the G'Years shortly.
The gearbox is a good unit, it just takes practice to get the 2-3 fast shift down so it doesn't bind.
Unfortunately, the Z has CAGS also. Simple fix here.
The shift from 4th to 5th makes the engine "fall flat on it's face." Don't race a P-car if you have to go above 159mph(7100 in 4th). The P-car trans is perfectly mated to the powerband of their engine where the Chevy 5th & 6th gear are simply stupid.(But nice for MPG!)

If you want "comfort" then you'll definately want an insulation kit. Mostly for heat but also for tire noise. exoticvettes has something I believe.

I guess it just depends on the individual. I have made a few trips with mine and I have had nothing to complaint about. Hell I guess if someone is looking for a limo ride, then they should just buy a limo. Of course I have never been a fan of all of the new super quiet cars. (Though I have not seen any statistics or surveys, I feel some of these super quiet cars have probably lead to some accidents by more then a few drivers) I have always liked to be able to have some seat-of-the-pants feel when driving, and not maybe doing near a 100 MPH without realizing it unless I am looking at the speedometer. ;shrug

And what do I drive? :upthumbs
:upthumbs:upthumbs Me too!! Till someone Likes it better than I do!!:upthumbs:upthumbs PS I Love my Stones,there way quieter and smoother than the GoodYears!!!:Steer:bu:bu:bu

attachment.php

Hi Fade, this is an opinion from a corvette lover but NOT a guy that knows much about mechanical or technical stuff. My first vette was an 04 coupe purchased new. With nothing to compare it to I thought the ride and the GM provided creature comforts made it suprisingly civilized. You could easily drive this car on a 5 hr trip and feel great at the end of the trip (this comming from a fairly fit 48 year old). I sold the coupe and 3 weeks later bought an 07 Z06. Compared to the coupe, the Z is abusive. The feedback from the road is very acute and "vivid" (read rough ride) when compared to the coupe. The road noise is much louder (say 25% louder) than the coupe. I don't know how I would feel after a 5 hour road trip in this car. That being said I would not trade this car for the other for any reason. The performance more than makes up for ANY short commings in comfort. My wife says she loves this car. Though a little uncivilized it is not something I can't happily live with

In researching online last night, I saw a few reviews that hated the ride quality of the Z06 on the street. Also complaints about road noise and the gear box...

Having had he pleasure of being around the cars... they are totally streetable and you'll forget about any "noises" as you row through the gears.

It sounds like a 505hp car should- serious.

:cool

I've driven an 07 and rode in another 07 two nights ago and the ride feels better than my 02 Z. The car does seem bigger to me on the inside but nothing I can't live with. I think it's a bit more refined than any other Vette model, not including the C6 model of course. I think you should go for it!

If you like sports/performance/race type cars....just buy it. :beer

You will absolutely love it, including the ride.

Went from an '02 Z06 to an '05 Z51 C6. Then to a 2006 Z06 and now a 2008 Z06.
The C6 Z06 is by far the most exciting Corvette I've ever driven. The '08 I believe has some accoustical upgrades and the inside is fine, not limo quiet, but good. Also the upgraded gearbox is a nice improvement. And the steering has a much better feel to it. I really like that part.
It rides better than the '02 Z06 I had but not quite as nice as the regular C6. I find the runflats a pretty good tire on the C6/Z06. They have good grip and are a lot less noisy than early tires.

Another thing I noticed with the '08 is the letter perfect fit and finish of the car. Best fit and finish I've ever seen on any of my Corvettes.
So, fit and finish, upgraded gearbox, better steering feel, and interior tweeks, makes me one happy camper. AND it goes like stink too! :upthumbs

Bob

In researching online last night, I saw a few reviews that hated the ride quality of the Z06 on the street. Also complaints about road noise and the gear box...

In my opinion- Europhiles seem to put down the Corvette. I think they believe spending lots of money equals legitimacy.

Noise is subjective. I've ridden in the cars and from a passenger's perspective it is a chorus of serious intent. Do you want it to sound like it means business? If so- its the right car for you. The ZO6 means business. You'll love it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom