Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Warm under the hood

dr_maddox

Corvette
I know that it seems to be a common problem, but in traffic, my car will get fairly warm. My car is a 1990 with analog guages, and the needle on the water temp guage lays well over the center--about 1 cm from the red or about 3/4 of the way to the red. A mechanic put it on a diagnostic and said that it was running at 235 degrees when idling for a lengthy period, but that both fans were working properly. Can someone help?

Im pretty new, but I think the car was made to run hot to pass emissions! My coolant temp on my LT1 is 216F, and that is with digital gauges for accuracy. I would not worry too much, but get other opinions (just in case I'm incorrect).

Also, it is an iron block, so warping is not a problem like in aluminum blocks.

Good Luck!

I know that it seems to be a common problem, but in traffic, my car will get fairly warm. My car is a 1990 with analog guages, and the needle on the water temp guage lays well over the center--about 1 cm from the red or about 3/4 of the way to the red. A mechanic put it on a diagnostic and said that it was running at 235 degrees when idling for a lengthy period, but that both fans were working properly. Can someone help?
Thats just a little high,but not bad!!:thumbI'd check and see if you have any trash clogging your air flow through the A/C condenser and radiator!!:thumb:thumb:thumbThese cars are like Giant Hoovers!!:D:D:D

Thats just a little high,but not bad!!:thumbI'd check and see if you have any trash clogging your air flow through the A/C condenser and radiator!!:thumb:thumb:thumbThese cars are like Giant Hoovers!!:D:D:D

:thumb He is right listen to him. I thought mine was clear until I pulled the radiator. Filled a 5 gal bucket with ugh.

Also look at flushing the radiator and a lower thermostat. I live in Houston, where is gets very hot with a lot of traffic. I run a 160 but probably not suited to cooler climates. Also, I use 65/35 water over anti-freeze. Anti freeze does not cool as well as water. Finally, if this does not work, new radiator may be in order if the higher temps bother you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom