Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warrant Question....

crooze

Corvette
2000 Pewter
In April of 2005 I purchased my 2000 Coupe. Along with it I purchased a 36/24 GM Major Guard warranty. I come to find out last week that the dealership never turned in the paperwork. Now they want to activate the warranty from my original date of purchase. So technically I'm paying full price but only getting 1/3 of the coverage. Is it just me or does this seem unfair?

I would say unfair but.......if you didn't need it during that time at all.....whats the difference is my guess what they are saying.

Why didn't they turn in the paperwork? Was there anything unethical in not turning it in? Did they want to keep your money and gamble that you sold the car or something before it was needed?

Why didn't they turn in the paperwork? Was there anything unethical in not turning it in? Did they want to keep your money and gamble that you sold the car or something before it was needed?

Once I finally got them to acknowledge that I did not have the warranty that I paid for they said that it was an oversight that the paperwork wasn't turned in.

I wouldn't be so fired up about this if they hadn't tried to force so much BS down my throat. When I first talk to them it was to late to call verify that GMPP didn't have any record of me. He said he would call the next day and call me back. The next day he called me and said he had my contract in front of him and me warranty had expired! When I didn't swallow that load of crap he said he would have to call me back. Now I can either take the remaining 12 or so months and 10,000 miles or cancel it all together for a full refund.

I'd fight them too. After all, they have had your money as a free loan for all this time - the least they can do is start the warranty when the paperwork is finally SENT.

There used to be an 800 number for GM for general customer service, I had to use it back in 90' after crashing a 91' z28 after they just hit the market and the body shop was telling me they couldnt get a fender after having it in their shop for almost two months. They lady from Gm located my fender and got them one.
Turns out they were trying to use a different dealer or something, that was their reason anyway. But if I could I would at least let Gm know about this a--hole. I guess what Im saying is try going over his head a little and see if you dont have better results, hes on the side of trying to make or save the dealer money, not customer service. Id be a little upset to. Nothing worse then being jerked around by a dealer or at least one of the employees

There used to be an 800 number for GM for general customer service, I had to use it back in 90' after crashing a 91' z28 after they just hit the market and the body shop was telling me they couldnt get a fender after having it in their shop for almost two months. They lady from Gm located my fender and got them one.
Turns out they were trying to use a different dealer or something, that was their reason anyway. But if I could I would at least let Gm know about this a--hole. I guess what Im saying is try going over his head a little and see if you dont have better results, hes on the side of trying to make or save the dealer money, not customer service. Id be a little upset to. Nothing worse then being jerked around by a dealer or at least one of the employees

You can call the Chevrolet Customer Satisfaction group at 800-222-1020

and the Chevrolet Owner Center at 800 630-2438.

Just ask them one simple question:
If I had brought my car in for warranty repair, would you have fixed it?
If they say no, the warranty paperwork wasnt sent in so you didnt have a warranty, then remind them that the check you gave them did in fact clear, so the money was real.
If they say yes, we would have honored the warranty, it was our oversight, then off the top of my head I dont know how to proceed from there.
What you are buying with the warranty is peace of mind, since nothing broke, and you were under the impression that you were under warranty for the last two years, one could say that there was no difference as far as your experience (aside from the aggrevation of getting it straightened out now).
I'm no lawyer, but I think to win (like in court) you have to have a few things, duty to act, breach of duty, damage and proximate cause. The warranty was their contract, it said what they had to do (duty), the car didnt break (so they did not in fact fail to fix it, that would be the breach of duty), you didnt have to pay for any warranty covered repairs in that time (which would have been damage to you) and since we have no damage you cant proove that their breach of duty was the proximate cause of the damage you didnt suffer :)
In all likelyhood, if something did break in the last two years, you would have gone in and they would have come to the same conclusion (hey ...this guy did pay us for his warranty) and they would have fixed it (both the car and the warranty problem back then).
I hate to rain on your parade, but if I call it as I see it, you are probably entitled to the rest of the warranty for the period you already paid for.
GM is a very big company, I'm pretty sure it wont break them either way. If you wind up with another three years,.....good for you :) Good luck.

Take the Full Refund!!!!!! You will be $$ ahead of the Game!! I've see Dealers do this before if it had not been cought, and you had no problems!! It would have been $1800.- $2500. MORE that they made on you!!! If you would have had problems they would have sent it in and fixed your car!!!! So Take the Refund and then Call GM and the State Insurance Commissioner!!!:chuckle :chuckle Theres a Real Good Chance are there is allot more than just yours that didn't get sent in!!!!!!:upthumbs :D PS This is a OLD Game and is Illegal in most states!!

gmjunkie,
I thought about taking the refund but if something were to happen in the next 12 months I could end up spending more. A few years ago I turned down an extended warranty on a car I purchased only to have the transmission go out. It end up costing me twice as much.

Jistari--
I can see you point. If I would of had a problem at some point in the past two years the car would have been eventually repaired under the warranty. Looking at it that way I've been covered. I really don't have a problem accepting the remainder of the warranty except for the two 45 minute phone calls with me yelling at this idiot before he would call the warranty company to verify what I was saying.

I think I'm just going to end my frustration and take the rest of the warranty. Thanks for everyones input!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom