Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

water spots on finish

L82 Shark

Corvette
1979 Red L-82
While washing and waxing I have noticed that when I got done you could still see water spots on the paint if the sun was just right. I tried a polishing compound and then waxed again. They are still there. Is the only cure a new paint job? Any help would be appreciated. Is this what they call acid rain?
:bash

had same problem and tried every type wax & polish. been planning to talk to detail shop I think, let me know if u have any luck!

Have you tried wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper followed by polishing compound? I don't know if it will work for water marks, but it works great for other minor imperfections.

Have you tried claybarring it? May not help but it couldn't hurt.

:wJane Ann

Before you buy the other products, try this...

While washing and waxing I have noticed that when I got done you could still see water spots on the paint if the sun was just right. I tried a polishing compound and then waxed again. They are still there. Is the only cure a new paint job? Any help would be appreciated. Is this what they call acid rain?

No, you shouldn't need a new paint job - but you will need to remove the existing coat(s) of wax.

The spots are usually caused by the minerals contained in tap water, and yes, acid rainwater can be a culprit. Trace elements such as calcium are left behind when the water evaporates (leaving "water spots").

You can get rid of the spots and layer of wax with distilled vinegar - the same way you get rid of calcium deposits on a shower head or faucet. Wash your car with a car cleaner. Rinse thoroughly and then apply the vinegar with a sponge, one section at a time. Let it sit for a minute, then rinse. After you're done, then re-wash your car.

If the water spots are still visible, then it's possible that the paint has been slightly etched by the minerals. Not to worry -- in that case, you'll need to polish your car with a mild polishing compound... Just be sure that your detailing items are clean, and free of dust and debris. Otherwise, you can produce swirls.

If you're serious about obtaining a swirl-free finish, invest in a dual-action polisher - not the type you'll find at Wal-Mart. I am referring to the professional polishers. Unlike the generic units, the buffer heads on these do not rotate, rather they oscillate to prevent burning or scratching.

I have one from Porter Cable. It's practically fool-proof and I was able to get rid of my swirl marks and light scratches on my Camaro. True, I spent a little over $100 for the items, but it was less costly than a new paint job. It now shines like glass... and that paint is over 20 years old.

Ralph

P.S. Oh BTW, of course you'll need to re-wax your car!

Liquid Ice Claybar!!!

Faster and Easier than a conventional Claybar!!

CLICK!!

:upthumbs

Thanks for all of the response. I am going to make a copy of all of these suggestion for use in the spring. As you can see I live in Montana and right now washing a car is not possible. The forcast is calling for snow. Jane Ann, where on the Gulf Coast do you live. I spent four years in Gulfport Ms. We just bought our car from a person who lived in Georgia. That is where the water spots came from.

Thanks for all of the response. I am going to make a copy of all of these suggestion for use in the spring. As you can see I live in Montana and right now washing a car is not possible. The forcast is calling for snow. Jane Ann, where on the Gulf Coast do you live. I spent four years in Gulfport Ms. We just bought our car from a person who lived in Georgia. That is where the water spots came from.

Hi Mike!

I live north of Gulfport myself. I was one of the first babies born at the "new" Gulfport Memorial Hospital and except for college, I've lived here all my life. Were you stationed at Keesler or the Seabee base?

You should stop by the New Member Forum and post an introduction thread. Click here

I'll watch for you around the forums. :)

I was stationed at Gulfport while in the SeaBees. I was there for four years in the early 70's and never could get use to the humidity. At that time I had spent my whole life in Seattle.

Having read all of the posts here and a couple of other sites I think once it warms up I am going to try the Zaino kit. I would really like to get a couple more years out of the 30 year old paint. I would be happy if I could get rid of the water spots and a couple of faded areas. I am hoping that I can accomplish this by hand and not have to buy a power buffer also.

We bought the car a month ago and I am having to rebuild the rear of the car since all of the rubber bushings are wasted. So this is not helping the budget and the front in is next. At least all of the brakes are new.

I was stationed at Gulfport while in the SeaBees. I was there for four years in the early 70's and never could get use to the humidity...

:L And it's gotten worse.

Good luck with your repairs.

Thanks Jane Ann. I did a new member intro but I did not know there was such a site on this forum because I could not find it on the home page. How do you find it with out using your link?

Thanks Jane Ann. I did a new member intro but I did not know there was such a site on this forum because I could not find it on the home page. How do you find it with out using your link?

Near the top of the page, there is a gray bar with links to different areas of the site. Click on "Forums" and it will take you to the forums index page. Here.

Here's a link to the Site Help and Feedback forum here. Post a thread in this forum when you need help and myself or one of the other Staff members will be glad to help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom