Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water Temp Rises 225 during Idle/Traffic

Water Temp Rise 225 during idle/Traffic

Depends on what you mean by normal. Do you mean what used to be normal on old style, iron block SB chevy engines, from the 50s to 80s? Or what Chevy designed the system to do with the Gen III small block, with a bottom breathing, low drag sports car? Sure, you can run your fans all the time, and the temps will stay closer to 200 F. Just turn on your AC, and the current system will give you something close to that.

You are right! I guess my old school was showing a little bit. Thanks for the reality check.

There was an article awhile back in CHP magazine regarding flogging a LS1 crate engine. They indicated that these motors are making power at, or above 195 degrees as the normal operating range. The article also indicated that the Gen III cars leaving the factory have a A/F ratio of 12.5:1, somewhat rich. They were able to provide a A/F ratio of 13.0:1, where the crate engine made it's peak power right out of the box. (402hp and 398 lb./ft. of torque) This was a bone stock LS1 rated for 345hp. The water temp stayed in the 195-225 range during the testing allowing for some cool down between sessions.

The two fans on the C5's can be staged on, or set to run together, it just takes some programming. I can't imagine a high water temperature being good for your intake air charge if you want to make power, but the higher temperatures (195+) are not hurting the engine and are considered normal by the majority.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom