Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wax on....

L

lunar

Hey, I was just at NAPA picking up some turtle wax for my vette, and the clerk suggested I use boat wax (given it's fiberglass). I never really gave much thought to that, and always just waxed her up like a steel body. Now I am like really concerned here; what is the best wax for a vette???

- kev

Automotive wax is the best for the vette. It's not a matter of matching the wax to the body, but to the paint. Automotive waxes are formulated for today's clear coat cars, while marine waxes and cleaners for formulated for the gel coat that is applied to the boat.

This will start a whole debate... Boat wax is typically designed for Gel Coat (gel coat is typically what you are going to see on boats, they aren't painted)... use car wax, but turtle wax is a bit cheap for a vette... Check out Zymol www.zymol.com (not the cheap zymol you would buy in wal mart or other discount auto stores) and Zaino... if you go to the care and detailing forum you will see posts on them... Many members here like Zaino, others like zymol... I like Zymol because I feel it is better for long term use, since it feeds the paint oils to keep it flexible

Ya know....on a lark I tried Meguires "Gold Class" and was I surprised. In liquid form with it's own applicator, this stuff is a breeze to put on. Start at one fender and by the time you get around to the other side it is ready to come off , which is the best part....it wipes right off with a terry cloth towel and leaves a shine like a new paint job. I am sold on the stuff...and since I started using it all of my neighbors have started using it as well. Get the car dirty??? Just hose it off and the shine comes right back. But I love putting this stuff on the car....takes all of 15-20 minutes. Much better then anything else I have tried....like taking three days to do the Mothers 3 step process and not getting as good results as Gold Class.

Once you try it you will love this stuff....9.99 a bottle and one bottle did 27 of the neighbor's cars and trucks....

I may have to buy stock in this stuff...

I tried and have been very happy with Meguire's Gold Class. It is very ez to apply, is relatively inexpensive, and offers a nice appearance to my Vette. I find waxing my Vette has become good therapy! :beer

wax it

the only wax to get is meguires ! ( is there anything else?)
also......when it gets dusty or a little dirty , get meguires
quick detailer !
just spray on & wipe off......you'll love it! :cool
gary

Autoglym is the best wax in the whole wide world but you may not be able to get it in the USA as it is a UK wax. It is very expensive if you can get it but try it you will never use anything else.

I guess I should have put in my 2 cents as well. ;) I've been using Meguiar's for 10+ years. I agree the results of the clean, polish and wax are incredible. I'm so happy with the results that I have no desire to try brand Z or brand Z. I doubt the results would be that much better if at all.

Lets be honest waxing your beloved Vette is a personal thing we all wax our cars in our own way. for me its usually after I have tinkered with something and my baby has responded by driving better or I have fixed some little thing and thought time I waxed the old girl it must be a least a week since I last did it. :) plus after driving a Vette waxing and polishing it is the next best thing.
By the way if you have ever seen the Queen driving in state in those big ol rollers with the deep shine. Autoglym

Markuk -

Autoglym products are not difficult to locate in the USA. Go to www.properautocare.com and you will find a source for them.

I know that the Queen's carriages and such used to be treated with Blitz wax, but they no longer use it. I've used Blitz wax in the past and it does provide a very nice, deep shine but I did not care for the "white dust" that it produced once you began to buff it off.

I have since been using Pinnacle Souveran and have not looked back. It is a very high quality wax that requires no dry time and provides a finish that I have been unable to duplicate with the shelves of products that I already have.

I think that the wax vs. polymer debate (which one do you use, and mine is better) is something that will continue on long after both we and our cars are gone.

It's all personal preference I suppose. :)

Aw C'mon Now!!

There's only one thing that I should say!!

But I won't 'cause I'm prejudiced!!

:beer

Try it you'll like it!!

I've had good results with both polymer and wax. What I can't stand is someone who does neither. Like my wife. HAVE YOU NO SOUL !!!!!! :(

Hiyas!

Kinda new here,

I have used this: http://www.driwashcentral.com/ for about the last 8 years. May want to check this out. It's a polymer type..

My car is a driver. I want them to look their best everytime I step in one. For my cars, I ALWAYS wash them first, towel dry, then apply. I apply with a wash cloth and use a combination of the spray method and the hand apply method. It's a fast as putting a detailer on. You need to re-apply about every 6 weeks but it is cummulative.

The best part! I can use a 1/2 bucket of water and 2 towels to wash the car. It takes little effort and looks awesome. Bugs nearly slide off.

Cyas, enjoy the info

DriveIt

straight lines

Here is my big tip.

Always wash and wax the car in straight lines! Not like the karate kid.

You will scratch and swirl the car while washing/waxing. Better to create straight scratches than round ones.

This goes double for cleaner or polish. Anything that "removes swirls" is creating swirls! ( like digging yourself out of a hole )

Just look at a black car in the daylight. You'll see what I mean. Any way you look at it you see fine scratches.

Ooh, and toss out that Turtle Paste wax... nothing is worse. Never use paste wax, you're just asking for it then. The paste is hard, and if it dries out is like gravel.

-Gooney0

vette polish

I put in my vote for Dry Wash n Guard. It is easy to apply, and I can wash my car with a wet towel and a dry towel when it needs a minor wash. It is also great on glass. It almost seems to disappear.

Well i went out to buy the Meguirs gold class and waxed my car today. All i can say is this stuff is awesome,ez to work with and a great shine. I give this stuff a GOLD METAL.

Zanio to wax

Here's a strange one. At least Three of my club buddies have on their on , at different times this year, changed back to wax insted of zanio. I'm surprised. Now this weekend I'm watching the cars ,while the others checked in to the motel in North wilksboro. I look at the 99 pewter convert. beside me and notice the incredible shine. I had to touch it,smooth. Made mine look sick. Then I find out my friend just changed to Megueres. So as soon as I got home I pulled out the Ibiz. Enjoyed it and it looks great. Not sure if I will not go back to Zanio,but it does look good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom