Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Way to easy to pay someone else to do

R

RalleyRed

Guys, when it comes to removing a broken FIBERGLASS spring and installing a new one, short of changing a tire there is no easier job.

BTW, you do have to remove both tires.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY WHAT I FOUND AND I BELIEVE A STEEL SPRING WOULD BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

I DON"T WANT ANYONE TO READ THIS THEN GET HURT TRYING IT WITH A STEEL SPRING!!! MAKE SURE YOU DO CHAIN IT! FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

At least this was true in my case, having a broken spring releases most if not all on the pressure.

We did this on a lift, no jack stands, no chaining of the spring, just loosened the 4 bolts at the diff. plate which releases any remaining pressure then used a tranny jack and a block of wood to lift the spring at the spring end bolts and removed them. Then back to the diff. bolts to finish removing those.

Out with the old , in with the new. There is even a dowl on the spring to center it.

The only tools needed are were an impact wrench, 7/8 and 13/16 open end wrenches, and if you don't have a lift then a set of jackstands and a jack.

This is a job I wouldn't even bother my friend with again after seeing how easy and quick it was to do.

I'm sure this would've cost at least a C-note at any shop.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom