Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Way to turn off choke manually?

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
Boy what a rough night. I came home at 11:30 at night to find that my dust cover had been stolen off my Corvette. Great, bad enough right? I decided to take her out for a quick strole, to see if everything was alright. I drive around for about 30 miles, and right when I am taking the last corner, pow, my alternator belt breaks. I park her, and proceed to take out pieces of belt from around the fan for about a half hour. I'm going to have it towed to the mechanic this week (and get all belts changed), however, it is parked very oddly, and to get it on the flatbed, I might have to back it up a little. Since there is no power, and its running off only the battery, the choke will not disengage, and it will idle at around 2500 rpm (I know this from experience). So my question is: is there a way to manually turn off the choke without providing the necessary current to shut it off? Thanks for any sympathetic replies.

-Tatortot

As far as i know you can push your gaspedal a little to turn of the choke manually. I always worked for me :)
Good luck!

Groeten Peter.

I wish it were that easy, but nope. When my alternator went south a few years ago, the same thing happened. The next time I started her up to bring it to the mechanic the choke wouldn't disengage (choke light stayed on all the time in the dash). It's an electric choke so I'm guessing the battery doesn't make enough power to send a constant signal to turn it off. I guess the answer to my questions is "no". Thanks for the replies; any others would be greatly appreciated.

-Tatortot

P.S.- I complained to my rental people about the unsafe conditions and the new concerns for my 'vette's saftey and they FINALLY found a garage (within my complex) for me to rent. So now, she'll be all locked up safely, instead of in a carport.

22229stingray81 said:
I wish it were that easy, but nope. When my alternator went south a few years ago, the same thing happened....greatly appreciated.

-Tatortot

Tator is correct. The choke comes on automatically by the action of the by-metal spring. On electric chokes, a switched 12Volt source is used to "expand" the spring, and I believe that it is straight from the alternator as in the 81 Vette. As a matter of fact, it cannot be 11 volts..the full 12 volts are needed.

Tator, is your choke housing still riveted to the case or does it have screws holding on to it? If screws are used, just remove the cover and by-metal assembly. Or better yet, rotate the housing so that the primary venturi plate is wide open.

22229stingray81 said:
P.S.- ...So now, she'll be all locked up safely, instead of in a carport.

Good thinking!

GerryLP:cool

GerryLP,

Thanks for the post! Yes it is screwed in; I had to replace the coil 3 or 4 years ago. So if I just remove it, or turn it, it should go off? I hope it doesn't come to that. Mikey: I don't think it is connected to the water pump, however even if it was, the engine would only be on for 10 seconds MAX. I'm talking about backing it out of a parking space, thats it.

Thanks VERY much for all replies. I'm extremely nervous about having it towed tomorrow; I've only had to have it towed one other time, and I was luckily and got a truck driver who actually owned a Corvette! Flatbed here we come!

-Tatortot

The choke will be on when I turn the engine on. I'm just worried that if I actually get it to crank, that it will rev to 2500 rpm (which it has done before), and shutting down the engine at those revs cannot be good for it; it will diesel horribly. I'm just trying not to hurt the 'vette more than it already is. Thanks for the post.

-Tatortot

22229stingray81 said:
GerryLP,

Thanks for the post! Yes it is screwed in; I had to replace the coil 3 or 4 years ago. So if I just remove it, or turn it, it should go off? ...
Thanks VERY much for all replies. -Tatortot

Tator,

That's right! When the electrical current makes the spring "expand", the spring moves the lever that controls the venturi flap. By rotating it you'll see the flap either open or close in a particular direction. Just rotate it so that the flap is wide open.

As a matter of fact, the rotating of the cover controls the relative position of the spring and flap, so one can actually set the length of time that the choke would be "on".

Thanks again for the reply. I got it towed this morning. It went really well. I did have to move it, however the engine was cold enough so that the revs weren't that high. Also, the driver backed it off the flatbed when we arrived and no problems there either. No dieseling or sputtering, and it even fired up right away both times! I tell you this old 'vette is a strong beast. Thanks for everyone's help! I'll update you furthur when I get her back.

-Tatortot

Vettehead Mikey said:
Is your water pump on the same drive belt? If so I would not want to run the engine for very long.

Good question, Mikey!

I could not answer it until I looked at my engine at home, and the fact is that if one happens to have an A/C compressor set-up from the factory, then the A/C belt would still turn the water pump.

Do Vettes WITHOUT A/C have dual belts on them? Or are those owners s.o.l. if they loose the alternator belt?

GerryLP said:
Good question, Mikey!

I could not answer it until I looked at my engine at home, and the fact is that if one happens to have an A/C compressor set-up from the factory, then the A/C belt would still turn the water pump.

Do Vettes WITHOUT A/C have dual belts on them? Or are those owners s.o.l. if they loose the alternator belt?

A/C was standard equipment for the '81. I'm thinking older engines without A/C don't have double belts.

Craig

Sorry I didn't update sooner, I've been very busy. While the 'vette was in the shop, I asked them to do a state inspection, which is due this month. They found that my rear driver side brake rotor was sticking, and had the pad embedded in it. I went over and looked at it and sure enough, it was. There were two large scratches in the rotor. So, I had them not only replace the rear calipers, and the one scratched rotor, but also the front ones, and all the rubber lines. For those who don't know, this is the 3rd time I've had the brakes rebuilt/redone in the 7 years I've owned her. This time I got the stainless steel pistons, so HOPEFULLY this will be the end of my brake whoas for a while.

So, I have new brakes, all the belts have been replaced, and a new inspection. The new brakes feel GREAT so far, but I have not driven it much or put it through its paces yet because its about 107 degrees outside right now. $881 later, and she's all ready to rock again. I wouldn't trade her for anything.

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom