Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Review: WD-40 Rust Remover Soak. . .CAUTION!!!

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
Hey all,

I thought I would share my experience with everyone. . .in the hopes that it will prevent someone else from making my mistake.

I recently bought an old Holley Carb off of e-bay. All the parts were there, but clearly the Carb had not been used in decades. Covered in grim, webs, and a few bugs made a nest in it. Still. . .it looked like all it needed was a good cleaning.

When I received the carb, and after letting the carb parts soak in a carb cleaner dip for several days, I found that all of steel parts were quite badly rusted. . .including the primary butter flies. I used red stotch pad and other abrasives. . .and all it did was get the surface rust off. After some research. . .and watching some car shows. . .I decided to give the WD-40 rust remover soak a try. I took the base plate off the carb and dropped it into the dip in side of an aluminum basting pan.

The good news it this stuff works fantastically!!!! Returned the metal parts to like new. All the rust was gone. I even did this in my cold sub 40 degree garage (label says works best and quickest in above 60 degrees). It did such a good job, I decided to drop the main body (with the rusty linkages still attached) into this dip. I came back the next morning to find yet again that the rusty parts were like new.

However while rinsing. . .I discovered to my disappointment. . .that the gold-ish platting had been loosened to the point where it just washed off like dirt on your hands. Now I have an EXTREMELY clean bare metal Holley carb main body.

So, I highly recommend this product. . .and it appears to be harmless to your hands, skin, and nose. . .it also appears to be harmless to aluminium and other metal parts. But it dissolves the gold coating on the main body and fuel bowls. Only dip what you want to clean.

Just an FYI!!

Regards,
JonR

Last edited:
Just be glad you didn't put it in some denatured alcohol, made my carb look like the titanic within half a day...:hb

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom