Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

We already have a jack, right? (spare tire compartment)

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
Okay, I'm going to change the oil, but I need to get under her. So I figured we probably already have a jack in the spare tire compartment.

How would this come away? The previous owner said he didn't know how to take the tire out and get at that stuff, and he's owned her since 1981. :(

So how does this spare tire come down to get at this jack?

Thanks! :D

TR

Don't do it!!!

The jack isn't any where near the spare tire TR. It's in your compartment behind the seats. Do your self a favor...Go down to Sears tonight and and get a nice floor jack and 2 jack stands. Sears normally sells this in a package deal for about $100. Don't use your regular car jack to raise your car and then crawl underneath it. We'll be reading your obituary in the news paper tomorrow.

See ya...Dave

The stock jack should be in the compartment behind the passanger seat, down at the bottom under the removable tray. Also at the rear of the spare tire tub, there is a bolt, just loosen it and then the back of the tub can shift of the left, I think, and unhook from the bolt.

Again, like the other have said, don't use the spare tire jack for working on the car, not what they were designed for. Get a good jack and jackstands.

tom..

Lay down on your back under the back bumper and look up. That big black thing is the spare tire holder. Toward the back of the car you will see a bolt like pin that attaches the back of the spare tire carrier to the frame. Loosen it and move it left while supporting the rear tire tray. Oh by the way get your head out of there because the tire is pretty heavy and when you move the bolt it comes down real fast. Some people have been known to keep the jack in there also. The jack's rightful place is behind the passenger seat in the compartment below the tray.

The advice given is good don't count on that jack to support the car while you work under it. Big mistake!!!!

Welcome to the club.

I use a set of drive on ramps for all my vehicles. You will need to purchase the extension ramps as well in order to prevent the nose from rubbing the ramps. A good floor jack and jack stands have many more uses though.

TR,

I'll add to the broken record, don't crawl under your car with the stock jack supporting it. We want you to have a long life in the Corvette hobby. As others have said, get a good floor jack and stands. When I changed the oil in my shark, I used ramps as does Dale. I purchased low angle "Gator Ramps" at the local Auto Zone and they worked perfect for the shark front end.

Okay, I'll go out and get one of these. I would get one of those ramps, but I don't really have the storage place for this. :( Would it be able to be disassembled to put away in tight storage? Not tight, but I wouldn't have room for just "it".

Stallion said:
Okay, I'll go out and get one of these. I would get one of those ramps, but I don't really have the storage place for this. :( Would it be able to be disassembled to put away in tight storage? Not tight, but I wouldn't have room for just "it".

The ramps we're talking about are small enough to store anywhere. They are the kind that you just pull the front wheels up on. Mine are about 6 or 8 inches tall and only about four feet long and maybe 10 inches wide. They're not much bigger than the jack. I think you're thinking of a lift, man I wish I had room for a lift:D.

- Eric:w

TR,

I agree with everyone above about the floor jack and jackstands. And never get under a car that is only supported by one thing. Example - if the whole car is up in the air on 4 jack stands put something else under there to catch it if it falls. Many people put a couple of wheels under the frame rails, or leave a jack or two under the car in the raised position, not carrying any weight, but raised to the point where they're touching the frame and will catch the car if it falls off the stands. The first time you see a car fall off stands or a jack you'll know why this is so important. Another popular thing is to get yourself a used railroad tie or other large piece of wood and cut a couple of lengths to whatever size you need.

As for changing the oil, you don't have to get your whole body under the car, just your head and one shoulder. I have two, 1 foot long pieces of wood, 2x10's, and two 1.5 foot long pieces. I place the shorter pieces on top of the longer pieces and drive the front wheels up onto my "ramps." It's perfect for oil changes when I don't want to take extra time to put the car up on jackstands - and you don't need any extra room to store a couple of foot long pieces of 2x10. A 6 foot 2x10 should cost less than $10 at Home Depot or Lowes. If my ramblings don't make any sense, just let me know and I'll snap a picture for you.

Semper Fi,
Culprit

"SUV" jack

Stallion,

I bought a "SUV" jack for $60. It goes up to 22 inches! and holds 3 tons instead of 2. Very nice.

I also bought "SUV" jackstands.. but those aren't as great. They go higher than usual but the lowest setting is higher also.

I don't really like jacking the car up higher than I have to.

-Gooney0

Okay, I see what you mean about these ramps. Just enough to get the front off the ground for us to get under. Would you buy these, or make them? They sound like something you can make.

Stallion said:
Okay, I see what you mean about these ramps. Just enough to get the front off the ground for us to get under. Would you buy these, or make them? They sound like something you can make.

You can make them, but you'd be better off buying a pair. The store-bought ones will probably be stronger and will have tracks to keep the tires centered. If you make it with lumber you'll have a flat ramp that you could slip off of while driving up. The wood could also deform or break more easily then a ramp designed for 2-3 tons of car.

Another stupid car trick that I used to pull for oil changes was using the curb out in front of my house as a ramp. Just drive up from the driveway with two wheels on the curb and two on the street. If your curb is high enough you can create enough space to scoot under the car to remove the oil plug and filter. The only problem is that you probably leave a bit more oil in the car (since the pan is tipped) then you normally would. . . :D

You can build this type of ramp, but why bother? I purchased the Rhino Ramps from AutoZone for $35. They are made of a high strenght plastic composite material, making them light in weight but very sturdy. They will never rust like the older steel ramps.

Go with some new ramps and you will be very happy. They store neatly one atop the other and take up hardly any room at all---------and I only have a one car garage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom