Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weather and Jamison's Custom Corvettes

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
Got back from visiting my daughter and family near Charleston SC this weekend.

Its COLD here at the NC coast - about 41, and going to 19 tonight. But nice and sunny and I did get a chance to take my Vette out for a spin. I really only took it out because its going into the shop for new shocks tomorrow and I had to play musical-cars to get it to where I could take it out first thing tomorrow morning. So, a slight side trip was in order - after all, had to warm her up fully!

Anyhow, on Sunday my son-in-law and I stopped by to look at a Vette shop in North Charleston, called Jamison's. Didn't expect anybody to be there, but the owner and founder, John Jamison was there working on a car. He let us in and gave us the grand tour. Wow! Sitting there was every Vette I ever wanted (and couldn't afford). They do all kinds of work, but specialize in restoration and fiberglass work. He showed his son's ride, what looked like a stroker 383 in a 95 coupe body - claims 11.8 ET.

Anyhow, a very nice man, and a very clean and seemingly competent place. Made my day.

Bob

shop, very clean and competent

Would you expect any less from a corvette man?

Did you snap any pics of cars by chance?

if you click on "portal" in the blue bar below the top banner it will open a page that has "Repair and Restoration shops" there you can enter the info for this shop and once Rob verifies it it will become a permenant part of the site. So years down the road someone looking for a shop can find it.

thanks - already there..

Bob

What brand shock did you go with? How is the ride?

I'm toying with the idea but don't know what to put on. I don't like a floaty ride, but don't want it too stiff either. The previous owner took off the stock Bilsteins because they would float on the freeway. He put on Gabriels but thought they were too stiff. The Gabriels were on the car when I bought it so I have nothing to compare them to. They seem ok except for going over breaks in the pavement and lane markers. Would be nice to have something a little more foregiving.

Fick said:

I'm toying with the idea but don't know what to put on. I don't like a floaty ride, but don't want it too stiff either. The previous owner took off the stock Bilsteins because they would float on the freeway. He put on Gabriels but thought they were too stiff. The Gabriels were on the car when I bought it so I have nothing to compare them to. They seem ok except for going over breaks in the pavement and lane markers. Would be nice to have something a little more foregiving.
He claimed the Bilsteins floated ? I would suspect they were worn out. My 90 came with Bilsteins and I would say they are rather firm. No float at all. But then I had gotten used to the superb handeling of the 98 Riv. ;LOLTalk about float.. I know where the term boat comes from now. ;)

:w

Fick said:

Well, they are going in tomorrow. I plan to take a shopping trip on Wednesday and will get to check them out then.

I ended up buying KYB shocks. I did a lot of looking here and on other Corvette forums. The general feeling that the Bilsteins seems to ride a bit harsh, and are of course more expensive. Lots of guys have bought the KYB and seem to like them a lot. In my case, I am just looking for a good cruise, so a bit softer shock will be better for me.

I got the KYBs for about $30 ea at Summit Racing.

So: performance=Bilstein, ride=KYB.

I will post another thread with results soon.

Bob

NC2Stay said:
Of course, most were in some stage of restoration. But they do have some pics on their website

http://www.jamisoncustomcorvette.com

Bob
I just sent them a message, recalling my AF days when they were doing biz in the same area, and asking them a question about a current issue I am dealingwith. That AF stuff was, ummmm, a few years ago.

thanks, for the memories.

I got the KYBs on, and so far am pretty satisfied. Now, when discussing shocks, you need to understand what I am coming from.

My old shocks were probably original Bilstein. The car had too much sway, fairly severe regular cupping on the front tires, and really banged on bumps. The shocks were probably not in very good shape!

The KYBs ride better. Less sway, takes bumps much more smoothly. Not any significant difference in handling in the short trips I have taken so far.

So, I am happy - especially for the price.

Bob

Jamisons Corvette

I took my 94 vette to him to fix about 5 electrical problems. He fixed them all in one day and saved me about $300. I worked with the owner when he was in the Charleston Naval Shipyard... He has had a shop for 20 plus years..

No Email

Hmmm. I sent an email to them a week ago, thanking them for the tour and inquiring about some upgrade for me.

Nothing. Nada. Kinda takes the glow off...

Bob

Jamisons

Glad you got a chance to see the owner-he was instrumental in me buying my first vette. Just a nice guy who is more than willing to answer any questions.His daughter is a member of the coastal carolina corvette club and both help out when asked. He does great work and his shop is like show case for our hobby.:w Dennis

Hey, Denny. Yes - too bad they don't answer email.

My daughter and family leave in Summerville - we get down there often - what is going on in the Vette scene there?

Thanks, Bob

hi NC check out www.4cccc.com there is a lot going on there. Alot of the members are from the Summerville area and a lot of the events are based around that part of the lowcountry. You might want to time one of your visits to an event. I let my membership lapse ,for health reasons, but plan on renewing this year as things have improved. They have a good time for all right reasons.Dennis:w

S'ville

My sister lives in Summerville also. I know of one white Vette that has been seen cruising the area. Haven't had the chance to go to Jamisons but I've heard good things about them. Actually when I lived there I tried to stay off Ashley Phosphate road unless absoutely necessary.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom