Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Weather Change

corvette addict

Corvette
2015 Z51 Black/Black
So now its the dreaded colder weather. I said colder not cold because its just colder not COLD here in eastern N.C. In my area the average temp is 52 degrees. So my problem, the temperature will be 45 tonight. Seventy Five in the daytime 40s at night. What does this mean? No driving my 2015 Z51 when the temps are 45 degrees or lower. I must say I did buy the car and I was ignorant about the tires. Of course, the salesman didn't tell me about the tires (no sale right). I haven't talked to Tire Rack about the Michelins that are supposed to replace these Cup tires with A/Ss. What is a poor boy gonna do? I have no place to store these tires. I can't switch them especially with 2500 miles on them. So I was "gotten" this time. My problem for not doing the research. One manager said these tires are on all models is that true and are others happy.

One break, my wife has a 2016 V6 Accord she said she would "let" me use it in cold weather. If there is no conflict. She also said it was ridiculous the tires can't "work" in cold weather. Shoot what does SHE know?
:duh corvette addict

So now its the dreaded colder weather. I said colder not cold because its just colder not COLD here in eastern N.C. In my area the average temp is 52 degrees. So my problem, the temperature will be 45 tonight. Seventy Five in the daytime 40s at night. What does this mean? No driving my 2015 Z51 when the temps are 45 degrees or lower. I must say I did buy the car and I was ignorant about the tires. Of course, the salesman didn't tell me about the tires (no sale right). I haven't talked to Tire Rack about the Michelins that are supposed to replace these Cup tires with A/Ss. What is a poor boy gonna do? I have no place to store these tires. I can't switch them especially with 2500 miles on them. So I was "gotten" this time. My problem for not doing the research. One manager said these tires are on all models is that true and are others happy. One break, my wife has a 2016 V6 Accord she said she would "let" me use it in cold weather. If there is no conflict. She also said it was ridiculous the tires can't "work" in cold weather. Shoot what does SHE know?:duh corvette addict
Fact: most sport vehicles come with summer type tires for press reviews during track use.You should not use those tires below the manufacturers specs. Period. Many do but shouldn't. Check with your insurance company for any disclaimers.

Last edited:
Air Reply

Fact: most sport vehicles come with summer type tires for press reviews during
track use.You should not use those tires below the manufacturers specs. Period. Many do but shouldn't. Check with your insurance company for any disclaimers.

So the bulletin says under 40 then 50 which is it. Also replied again. Wouldn't the tires heat up during a 150 mile trip?

thanks,

corvette addict

So the bulletin says under 40 then 50 which is it. Also replied again. Wouldn't the tires heat up during a 150 mile trip?

thanks,

corvette addict

The way I read the bulletin it states that you will have decreased traction at 40*F ambient, but GM recommends winter or all season tires at 50*F or less. I would check with the manufacturer of your tire (Michelin probably) and see what they recommend.

Your tires may or may not heat up enough in a 150 mile trip, plus driving even a couple of miles in tires unfit for the conditions is dangerous.

I would stay within GM recommendations for the tires on your car.

I just had another customer mention this to me the other day. He was told by someone that you should not drive a new Corvette below 45 degrees and that this was influencing his decision to buy a new Corvette.

Let me just say this - it doesn't matter if it's a new Corvette, or some other high performance vehicle that comes with high performance tires. Discretion and common sense are key here.

Obviously if the car and tires are cold, and it's cold out, your traction is going to be impeded. Common sense says, don't go peeling out around every corner, or start testing the car's cornering G's until the tires heat up.

New Corvettes are equipped with tire temperature monitors - you're just a few clicks away on your steering wheel from determining whether the tires are cold, warm or hot. Use it!

It doesn't take 125 miles of driving before the tires heat up. Depending on speed, and pavement temperature, it can take anywhere from 5-25+ miles of driving for the tire temperatures to come up.

Don't let someone tell you that you can't drive a Corvette below 45 degrees. Just use common sense, discretion and your tire temperature monitor system before undertaking any spirited driving.

i didn't do my research on the tires either. Just assumed the C7 would be the same as my C6 with all weather tires. Surprise, surprise. I used to drive my C6 all winter here in NE, in all temps, as long as there was no snow or salt on the roads. i only have 3K on my 2016 Z-51 but i am really looking to get a set of the new Michelin all season RFs. Probably dispose of the summer tires as it will be a real PITA to change over 2x a year. just wondering what the performance loss will be. :mad

Michelin makes an all season tire that looks pretty good but it isn't available in all Corvette sizes.
Check out the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP. Tirerack says they are available in Z51 sizes. They are not available in ZO6 or GS sizes.

As for driving in the cold with the Cup tires - or Super Sport tires for that matter - you will have less traction when they are cold. Like previously posted, don't plan to test the traction limits when they are cold. If the road temps are cold, they will take time to heat up and the cold pavement will still limit the overall traction available.

Swap out the Cup tires for A/S 3+ for winter then put the Cup tires back on for summer. Wish I had that option but I don't.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom