Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weird thing happened

F

frankysuarez

Two weeks ago I went to move my 1999 hardtop and made a loud bump noise. I notice some diferential oil, not a lot on my floor. Since then I leave the car in neutral with emergency break on (this is my daily drive car) and it didn't happen again until yesterday. It did not make the sound as loud but the oil were there again... Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

No advice on the bump or leak, but I'm with 6 shooter, you should be leaving the car in gear. Mainly as a backup in the event that your parking brake fails.

Also, the owner's manual (at least for the 2001) specifically states to put it in reverse and pull the parking brake prior to turning off the ignition. I don't know why they say to do that, but I'm following the rules. ;) I'm sure there is some super technical reason to use reverse instead of first, but I don't know what it is.

I haven't noticed any leaks under my car, but after looking through those links from 6 shooter, it's time to take a closer look.

You know I read that also in the manual and was wondering why specifically in reverse. I will follow your advise. It wasn't that much oil thought. You think I should fill it again?

Frank,
It is not normal to see differential fluid under the car, and refilling it would just prolong the inevitable. Find the source of the leak and take corrective action ASAP. Probably just a seal. Fix it now while its cheap.

Keep the wave!

Frank,
It is not normal to see differential fluid under the car, and refilling it would just prolong the inevitable. Find the source of the leak and take corrective action ASAP. Probably just a seal. Fix it now while its cheap.

Keep the wave!
Cheap? I guy just ask me for 1K for labor... Cheap?!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom