Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Well. . .that didn't work . ..

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
So when I rebuilt my re-suspension. . .I took the diff out, opened it up and inspeceted the parts without disasembly. I then replaced the side yoke seals and bolted it all back to gether. Just found out yesterday that the front seal leaks profusely. . .if the car is parked pointing downhill.

Is thre any way to replaced the front seal, without rebuilding the diff. . .or redoing the crush sleeve?

-JR

If its like most, you need to take the driveshaft loose at the rear end and remove the yoke. An impact wrench works best there. When the yoke is removed, the seal is right there. You will need to retorqe the yoke when reassembling.

ok. . .that's what frighentes me. .

I know that when you are torquing the bolt on the diff input shaft. . .you are effectively sqeezing a crush sleeve. . .and over torqing could result in negative things happening.

I also know that when you do the initial torq. . .you need a 30 inch pound torq wrench to test the amount of drag on the pinion gear. . .

So. . .I have to admit. . .I'm not sure I can do what you suggest.

Or am I way off on this?

I've never done one on a Vette but most diffs have a notch to lock the pinion nut with. I just tighten it back to the same spot and stake it. Similar to some axle nuts. :w

I just did this exact repair on mine this Spring, using Gary's excellent guidance. No leaks yet :thumb. Thank you Gary. The only thing I'll add is on the installation tool I used. It was just a 16" long piece of schedule 40 PVC I had laying around, I believe it was 3". It worked better than anticipated. Good luck.