Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Went deer hunting early!

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
Last Friday night I encountered a deer with my 65 convert. Don't know if the deer lived or not. Couldn't find her afterwards. The car suffered extensive damage to the left front fender. I'm insured with American Collectors and hope recovery will be uneventful. I'm not going to do the repairs myself and have contacted a dependable, experienced body shop. I want to be an active participant in deciding the "how-to". Request your opinion on the following:
1. Repair existing fender?
2. Replace existing fender?
3. If replace existing fender: (a) build a fender using reproduction parts? (b) buy an already assembled reproduction fender? (c) acquire a salvaged fender?
4. If replace fender, what vendor is best? Paragon, Corvette Central, Volunteer Vette, etc.

photos to follow as soon as I can find a way of reducing them to an acceptable size for posting.

photos to follow as soon as I can find a way of reducing them to an acceptable size for posting.

Brumbach - glad you're okay and sad to hear about your damage. Some of our members with experience in replacement parts and repairs should join in soon.

As for photos... take a look at this thread in the Site Help and Feedback forum for suggestions.

Resizing photos - Click me

:wJane Ann

Last Friday night I encountered a deer with my 65 convert. Don't know if the deer lived or not. Couldn't find her afterwards. The car suffered extensive damage to the left front fender. I'm insured with American Collectors and hope recovery will be uneventful. I'm not going to do the repairs myself and have contacted a dependable, experienced body shop. I want to be an active participant in deciding the "how-to". Request your opinion on the following:
1. Repair existing fender?
2. Replace existing fender?
3. If replace existing fender: (a) build a fender using reproduction parts? (b) buy an already assembled reproduction fender? (c) acquire a salvaged fender?
4. If replace fender, what vendor is best? Paragon, Corvette Central, Volunteer Vette, etc.

I need Photos,my Crystal ball is in for Up-Dates and the Card's don't have Clear enough Images for Collision repairs!! :D:D:D :upthumbs

Brumbach - glad you're okay and sad to hear about your damage. Some of our members with experience in replacement parts and repairs should join in soon.

As for photos... take a look at this thread in the Site Help and Feedback forum for suggestions.

Resizing photos - Click me

:wJane Ann

Thanks. I've downloaded the s/w and I think it's helped. Standby for pictures.

Well, that stinks! But it could have been a whole lot worse.
From what I've read, there are only two manufacturers of correct fiberglass panels - Sermersheim's and Corvette Image. I'm told that they supply the other vendors. Sermersheim's number 812 424-4701. As I recall, I had to leave a message, but they were pretty good about returning the call and sending a catalog. I don't have a number for CI. Be aware that when I last contacted Sermersheim's, there was a four month wait for a replacement hood. Availability seems to be affected by their production schedule.
My car was extensively damaged by a fire last November. To date, the body shop has replaced all but three or four body panels and they have had good luck with the fit and finish from both sources. With that said, my body guy doesn't mind, and in some cases prefers working with salvaged panels.
Good luck. She'll be good as new when you're done!
Cheers,
Jeff

Well, that stinks! But it could have been a whole lot worse.
From what I've read, there are only two manufacturers of correct fiberglass panels - Sermersheim's and Corvette Image. I'm told that they supply the other vendors. Sermersheim's number 812 424-4701. As I recall, I had to leave a message, but they were pretty good about returning the call and sending a catalog. I don't have a number for CI. Be aware that when I last contacted Sermersheim's, there was a four month wait for a replacement hood. Availability seems to be affected by their production schedule.
My car was extensively damaged by a fire last November. To date, the body shop has replaced all but three or four body panels and they have had good luck with the fit and finish from both sources. With that said, my body guy doesn't mind, and in some cases prefers working with salvaged panels.
Good luck. She'll be good as new when you're done!
Cheers,
Jeff
Thanks for the information and encouraging words. Hopefully, I'll have it in the body shop in a week and back before the end of Oct. Fall weather is good for cruising, right?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom