Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Went to an AutoX event today

C4Tom

Corvette
1993 Black & Silver LT1 A4 Coupe
I actually went with the intent on entering. It was an Australian something Solo2 event. When I got there and saw the potential competition and the fact that I've never autocrossed before, I stayed to watch only. There were NO beginners there.

It looks really fun and I wanted to try it. So I asked 'the guy in charge' if I could just run a couple of "fun runs" after the event was over, and he told me that I would have to pay the $25 entry fee to do that. You had to pay $1 per run too.

That aggravated me a bit. I said, look I just want to try it to see if I am going to like it and I didn't want the pressure of competition yet. He again said I had to pay the entry fee. So I told him nevermind I'll just watch. He approached me later, towards the end, during the last group and said I could enter my car with a group of Mercury Cougar exhibition cars, all experienced drivers. Again, I declined his offer.

Bottom line: I had fun watching and I want to do it, but don't want my first time to be under the pressure of competition. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Almost all autocrosses have a novice class for newcomers. Even if you don't run in novice, what's the worst thing that can happen? AutoX is a safe and low pressure way to go fast and have fun in your car. Don't let the competition scare you away. You WILL get you butt kicked the first few times, but that is the case for most new activities.

Check with your area Corvette clubs. Many will hold Corvette-only autocross events (NCCC-sanctioned usually). There will almost always be guest classes (you would have to pay the entry fee for this, but you can drive at your own confidence level) and most have funs runs for a buck or two afterward. Many won't charge you the entry fee for the fun runs. The Corvette clubs will likely also be much more open to helping you learn the ropes so to speak, and many drivers will take great pains to give you good pointers for improving your lap times. I'm a member of Boone Trail Corvette Club in the St. Louis area - we have a two-day seven-event race October 1 & 2. If you are in the area, you are more than welcome to join us!

Check out the SCCA and seeif there is any events in your area.

In my experience in the Philedelphia Region there are always 10 to 15 new drivers at each event.

I'm not sure about the event you mentioned but if it was a NCCC sponsored event they probably want the entry fee and other money to make sure they are covered in the event you wreck. At least my old club was very strict in ensuring they were covered.

Like you I've never done it before and wanted to enter an event but was scared. Didn't want to look like a little old lady driving around the course. So I still haven't entered.

I did help as a worker for 3 annual events with my old club. Last year I was the starter. We only had one of our members enter. On his fourth race I'm talking to him at the starting line and I jokingly told him to turn off the stereo and quit cruising. He promptly lost it at the third gate and spun backwards, off course, and down a 10 foot ditch. One minute he's there and the next you can't see him. After cleaning his underwear:D and getting his car back to the local shop it took $6K to get it back together correctly. Made me kind of reconsider entering an event.

As one lady racer at the event told me, "it's the most fun I've had with my clothes on", I say give it a try and let us know how you do. I'm still in the "chicken" category.

Good luck

Ron
"Baldie88"

Thanks for the thoughts, help and infor guys. I'll look it up on the 'net and head to the next event I am able to attend. Screw it... Just do it! :D

Maybe I'll head to an empty mall parking lot and make some hard turns to loosen up a bit. Looking at the track as a spectator, the cones made the lanes look narrow and I'll bet they look even narrower while you are in your car... IN the lanes. ;)

The cones ARE a little confusing at first. After one or two runs they start to make a little sence.
I've been to 2 events so far. The most important thing that I have learned is to always look ahead to the next set of cones. Sometimes that means looking over your shoulder!
At both of the events that I attended there were many first timers. And nobody makes you feel like a fool.
Running through the course is some of the most fun you can have in your Vette at a reasonable cost.

Tom,

I received my magazine from NCCC yesterday and saw that Don and Betty Park from Road Atlanta won this year's points race. I know both of them from when I lived in Huntsville, AL. We used Atlanta's timing equipment for our race.

They both race a pretty much stock 89 coupe. In watching them and in talking with them, it's not necessarily how fast you go through the course but how smooth you are. I've watched guys blast from one set of cones to the other only to lose time because of heavy braking to get set up for the next cones. I'm not saying the Park's are slow but it seems like they carry almost the same speed around the course. I think the trick is to not get yourself into a situation where you have to overcorrect which in turns hurts your time.

Like I said before I've never raced but thought I'd pass this along. At least from my experience everyone is very friendly and helpful, especially if they know you are a novice.

Let us know how your racing goes.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Go for it, everyone! Yes, there can be a miniscule amount of risk - but anytime you take the 'vette on the road with all the semis, minivans and SUV's you take a MUCH bigger risk!. Every group who puts on an event strives to make it as safe as humanly possible - but mishaps can happen. As for NCCC sponsered events, as long as you sign the insurance waiver, you're covered for most types of accidents, like equipment falling on your car, and such. I don't believe any club insurance covers an actual driving accident on the track, but I could be mistaken on that. The entry fees are merely fund raising in nature. We are a bit more forgiving it sounds like - we've let people run fun runs for just a buck in the past, without charging the full fee (unless they actually compete in the event - then the fee applies). But regardless of whose event you participate in, remember one thing - drive at whatever level you feel comfortable at. There's no large monies at stake, just some awesome fun. Don't let someone pressure you to going faster than you feel ready for. And for gosh sake - take your foot off the gas if you start s spin!

C4Tom said:
I actually went with the intent on entering. It was an Australian something Solo2 event. When I got there and saw the potential competition and the fact that I've never autocrossed before, I stayed to watch only. There were NO beginners there.

It looks really fun and I wanted to try it. So I asked 'the guy in charge' if I could just run a couple of "fun runs" after the event was over, and he told me that I would have to pay the $25 entry fee to do that. You had to pay $1 per run too.

That aggravated me a bit. I said, look I just want to try it to see if I am going to like it and I didn't want the pressure of competition yet. He again said I had to pay the entry fee. So I told him nevermind I'll just watch. He approached me later, towards the end, during the last group and said I could enter my car with a group of Mercury Cougar exhibition cars, all experienced drivers. Again, I declined his offer.

Bottom line: I had fun watching and I want to do it, but don't want my first time to be under the pressure of competition. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
solo 2 events are run for drivers to gather points for the big solo 2 event in the midwest for a national championship in SCCA. most regular auto X are just fun events and should be used for that. always make your first run at a slow speed to learn the course and then try to speed up. i ran them back in the late 50s and early 60s and won my share even against the smaller sports cars which can make the tight turns easier than a corvette. you steer the corvette with your gas pedal not the sterring wheel. the best mod to try is to disconnect or loosen the front anti sway bar as the corvette will turn into the corner must quicker than with the bar tight. DO NOT drive at high speed on the road with the bar dissconnected as you will be taken by suprise and could loose control in a turn.

C4Tom said:

Thanks,

C4Tom,
I understand what your saying. My son and I, "just went for it."
We entered our first autocross at the tnt Kart track in Quincy MO. last weekend. When I first saw the track and the shape it was in, the thin witdh of the lane, and the hair pin turns, I allmost didnt run it, like you. I thought this was not made for a full size car to drive on. Plus most of the other vettes all had slicks and rolebars, harnesses etc. Ours was stock and for street. But we did and were very glad we did. You will be to. We have never even been/or seen a autocross and it was a little confusing at first how it all went. I was told thats normal. But once you get out there you dont care anymore. All you know is your car, the feel of the car and concrete ripping into your wheels, driving, and doing your best time, and keeping control of your vehicle. You forget about everything else. The world disapears. Its a great feeling. If you just cant even fathom doing damage to your car, then dont push it as hard as youd like. Easier said than done though. When your out there thats all you want to do. The love you have for your car and its protection seems to disapear. Kinda like the morning after a really good drunk. You wake up and Its like ****..what did I just do to my car. But when you do it youll be hooked. Good luck, Im sure youll do fantastic! Id love to hear about it when you do your first one, or your 1st fun run.
Teresa

C4Tom said:
Thanks for the thoughts, help and infor guys. I'll look it up on the 'net and head to the next event I am able to attend. Screw it... Just do it! :D

Maybe I'll head to an empty mall parking lot and make some hard turns to loosen up a bit. Looking at the track as a spectator, the cones made the lanes look narrow and I'll bet they look even narrower while you are in your car... IN the lanes. ;)
Tom,come on down to the Gmjunkie School of Moon Shine Drive'n!! We have plenty of Twisty,Turny,Switch Back,Roller Coastery Mountain Course's!! It's Free,except for the set of Tire's you'll need to get home on!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL So come on Down and Follow My Lead!!:Steer :lou :Steer :loujunk!!

gmjunkie said:
Tom,come on down to the Gmjunkie School of Moon Shine Drive'n!! We have plenty of Twisty,Turny,Switch Back,Roller Coastery Mountain Course's!! It's Free,except for the set of Tire's you'll need to get home on!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL So come on Down and Follow My Lead!!:Steer :lou :Steer :loujunk!!

Hmmm... I think I'd need the General Lee for them roads. ;LOL Beau and Luke might not like my Vette down there on them roads.

C4Tom said:
Hmmm... I think I'd need the General Lee for them roads. ;LOL Beau and Luke might not like my Vette down there on them roads.
There all Asphalt!!;LOL junk!!

gmjunkie said:
There all Asphalt!!;LOL junk!!

You guys got asphalt??? :lou ;LOL

Man... I thought you was talkin about me bringin my John Deere down there. I seen them southern boys racing their riding mowers on TV. ;LOL ;LOL

C4Tom said:
You guys got asphalt??? :lou ;LOL

Man... I thought you was talkin about me bringin my John Deere down there. I seen them southern boys racing their riding mowers on TV. ;LOL ;LOL
Yea that's Couse the Native's can't have Driver's License!!! (More than 3 DUI's) I'm not a Native, I'm a Half Back, Mo. Boy moved to Fla. and moved Half Back!!:W ;LOL junk!!

I still don't know about going... one of only 2 'out of state' speeding ticket was in NC!! ;LOL

I was watching COPS the other day and did see a guy get a DUI on a riding mower. The cop followed him until he fell off the mower. The cop was laughing the whole time he followed this guy. ;LOL ;LOL

C4Tom said:
I still don't know about going... one of only 2 'out of state' speeding ticket was in NC!! ;LOL

I was watching COPS the other day and did see a guy get a DUI on a riding mower. The cop followed him until he fell off the mower. The cop was laughing the whole time he followed this guy. ;LOL ;LOL
I seen that Too!! But that was no Big Deal!! Happen's here all the Time!!;LOL ;LOL junk!!

gmjunkie said:
I seen that Too!! But that was no Big Deal!! Happen's here all the Time!!;LOL ;LOL junk!!

WOW! :eek

Hmmm... it seems that would make it a bit tricky maneuvering through the twisties when a riding mower may be around the next corner. ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom