Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whale Oil --

CQRT

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary coupe
Greetings All:
I recall adding a foul smelling, small bottle of "whale oil" or "sperm oil" (seriously...!) into the rear differential in the late 70's the was purported to reduce build-up on posi clutches and generally quiet the rear end, keeping it well lubricated.
Does anyone remember/know if this or was I the youthful victim of the proverbial "snake-oil" salesman (even though I was a cop!)
If valid, anyone know where it's sold ??
Thanks-
RWT
Scottsdale, AZ

It's sold at any GM dealer, tell them you need a bottle of positraction additive. If I can find the part number I'll post it.
Just bought some last month......

I remember it being called 'sperm whale oil' at one time also, but think the latest stuff is synthetic.

Pancho

...so if whale oil comes from whales, then does that mean that synthetic whale oil comes from those inflatable pool toys? (hehe)

Whale oil was a particularly important part of auto transmission oil in the past. I quess it was important for the disc clutch packs, as posi's have. Now that whale products are not obtainable, I'm sure someone sythesiized an oil that does the same thing.

thanks !

Thanks to all - - I was beginning to think I was having a 'senior-moment' - - Great to have so many experienced minds ! Thanks to all - -

RWT

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom