Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What broke over the winter storage ??

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Just cureous what is in need of repair after our long winters hybernation..

Personally I have 2 new leaks on the 67, 1 under the fuel pump and the 2nd under the heater core. So it looks like a new fuel pump and a heater core is in my future. I hope the heater core is easy to repair.

Took the 94 out of storage this morning, put full coverage insurance on it and drove to Denver at 12:01 am. Was in storage for 4 months, and everything worked perfectly. The 02 comes out in May. What a great thrill to drive a vette again.
Barrett

Hi Jim
long time no talk.

What broke on mine... well lets see:

after having the tranny rebuilt and than replacing the clutch, TO bearing, and pilot bushing during the tranny install I went to take it for a test drive.
Ran like CRAP!
Now, I have been chasing a poor running condition for a while but this was beyond anything as bad as it ever was. I knew the carb was off somehow (it was never right ever since it came back from a major rebuild a few years ago (but that fiasco is another story by itself) so I took it off and opened it up. Found the primary jetting was way off - stock jetting on the primary should be #65 jets and I found #72 jets in there (back to adding to the list of screw-ups by the carb rebuilder). That explained why it always seemed to run way too rich. I re-jetted it and hoped it would solve the problem but no...
Kept digging and found I actually had two dead cylinders. #'s 2 and 7 weren't firing. Did a continuity test on the wires and found them fine although #7 was a bit picky about giving me a reading at all at times so I suspected at least a partially broken wire giving intermittent operation.
Replaced all the plugs and wires with some barely used spares I had and still no improvement. WTF??!!
Kept investigating and discovered dwell was way up at 45º so the points were barely opening. depending on any irregularity on the distributor cam lobe that could mean that #2 and #7 positions weren't opening up at all creating the dead cylinders.
To be safe I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, points, condensor, and again replaced the spark plugs and wires with all bran new parts. Set the points initially with a matchbook which was close enough to at least get her to fire and start and set dwell and reset timing. She runs great now although the carb still needs a bit more dialing in.

So... somehow the "dwell" had ending up breaking on me by being up at 45º when in the past it was always set at 30º and always pretty much stayed right there at 30º give or take a degree whether it was over a summer of driving or sitting in winter storage.

Between the tranny R&R, doing the clutch and pilot bearing, and than chasing the carb and ignition issues yeah, it's been real fun the last couple weeks... :eyerole

I must be living right, took the 67 out today and both leaks have stopped. I'm sure that is short lived.
Barry, I hope this summer goes better for you. Sounds like you can do a tune up in your sleep by now. I assume the 78 is doing well.

I wouldn't say in my sleep....... I still fight every step of the way on everything since nothing ever seems to want to get repaired easily.

The '78 should be OK but I haven't had her out since the Fall so who knows what I'll find once I start her up. She is actually for sale again - this time I'm much more motivated to sell her. She really has to go unfortunately.

Same as last winter's cold storage. A month into storage and a small coolant leak starts that drips slowly draining just under a quart over the winter.

Fired her up this week and took a short run bringing all temps up to normal. Runs and sounds like a dream. Coolant leak stopped right away (nothing for 5 days) and I am sure the leak will will not return all season (same as last year). So, a minor but a bit annoying and curious problem.

Can't find the leak source, but so suspicious of the lower rad hose area as this only happens in storage and when it gets really cold so something is changing because of the temp. Due for a coolant flush and change soon. Will replace the hoses same time and have a pressure test. Hopefully that will sort it. Anyway, nice to be on the road again! Enjoy.
RG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom