Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What Do You Think About The New 5-Quart Oil Packaging?

When I want to add a quart of oil to my engine I want to open a ONE QUART BOTTLE. Not a 5-quart jug and pour a single quart into a measuring container and then pour that into my engine. I find the new bulk packaging is VERY annoying as it takes 5 times as long to add a single quart to my engine. I would gladly pay a few cents more per quart to have the convenience of one quart packaging.

How do you feel about the new 5-quart jugs that are being forced on us? What's next.............5 gallon buckets?

I agree with you fully. It's cheaper to package so that's what we get. If I'm doing an oil change it's no big deal if your car has a 5 qt. pan. My '59 has a 6 qt. originally and the 355 in my stepside has a 7 qt. You can buy one qt. cans with a flexible spout at the auto parts store but those have their drawbacks too. When I was working you always had to look inside the can before you filled it from the bulk hose to be sure it was clean. Dirt and flys were common. If you have or can find oil in qts you could refill them all at once then you would have what you need when it is time to add a qt.

Tom

I don't find it an issue but then I don't presently own anything I need to add oil to :thumb We buy Mobil 1 in 55 gallon drums and just pump out what we need .5-20 we buy by the case at Walmart .If ya need a extra quart we open another jug and can pretty much tell what a quart is .Just like pouring beer by the once :D

I agree with you fully. It's cheaper to package so that's what we get. If I'm doing an oil change it's no big deal if your car has a 5 qt. pan. My '59 has a 6 qt. originally and the 355 in my stepside has a 7 qt. You can buy one qt. cans with a flexible spout at the auto parts store but those have their drawbacks too. When I was working you always had to look inside the can before you filled it from the bulk hose to be sure it was clean. Dirt and flys were common. If you have or can find oil in qts you could refill them all at once then you would have what you need when it is time to add a qt.

Tom

I am now buying Parts Master 10W30 synthetic oil that still comes in the convenient one-quart bottles. I get a "stocking dealer" discount at the local auto parts store so I'm getting it for $3.99 a quart which is really cheap for a full synthetic oil. It is actually Valvoline oil but packaged under the Parts Master label.

When I want to add a quart of oil to my engine I want to open a ONE QUART BOTTLE. Not a 5-quart jug and pour a single quart into a measuring container and then pour that into my engine. I find the new bulk packaging is VERY annoying as it takes 5 times as long to add a single quart to my engine. I would gladly pay a few cents more per quart to have the convenience of one quart packaging.

How do you feel about the new 5-quart jugs that are being forced on us? What's next.............5 gallon buckets?

Considering you are only paying for 1 container and paying a lower cost for the "bulk" oil in a 5 quart container, I'll take that all day long. It is much easier to pour 5 quarts of oil from 1 container during a oil change than opening and pouring 5 different containers. Don't see the issue. If you really need just 1 quart of oil at times, pour it out of your 5 qt container into a 1qt container and save it for later, really easy to do....

Back In The Old Days

Back in the 1940's and 1950's every service station had a rack of 1-quart clear glass bottles filled with oil standing next to the gas pumps; each bottle having a screw-on tapered steel spout about 5" long. The oil was a straight grade 30 weight and was a dark green color. The owner filled his bottles from a bulk container in the morning so he would have plenty for his customers that day. I used to have several of those bottles but they got thrown away many years ago. If any of you are 60 years old or more you probably remember those days. I also remember steam locomotives that were slowly being replaced by the newer diesel-electric models.

I have a couple of those bottles. I just use them for display so they don't get broken. Dad used to buy his oil in a 5 gallon steel can with a spout from the Farm Bureau. He would fill the glass bottles as needed so he had some ready. Maybe we are just going full circle on this.

Tom

At Wally World buying in the 5 quart jug is like getting more than a quart free. I'll take that deal.

As almost all of my oil usage involves using one quart or less at a time I find the one quart bottles are a lot more convenient to use. I was buying the 5-quart jugs then transferring it to one quart bottles but when I found I could buy the Parts Master oil on one quart bottles for less cost per quart I went that route. My oil pressure is showing almost 10 psi less with the synthetic oil of the same weight so I may start buying 10W40 in the future.

At Wally World buying in the 5 quart jug is like getting more than a quart free. I'll take that deal.

That's where I buy it. Hell, it's cheaper there than cost where I work.

Another plus for the 5 quart jug: easier to store since it takes up less space than 5 individual quarts. Win, win, in my opinion. ;)

I'm not seeing the problem - from what I have seen at Wally World is the oils I use in my vehicles is available in 1 quart, and 4 quart or 5 quart bottles.

Here's a rack of those oil bottles at the Sunoco station a block from where I grew up.

Butler Sunoco Station 1940s 5 (1).jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom