Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What do you think the C6 will do for the ZR-1 market?

B

Brett

What do you think the C6 will do for ZR-1 prices? Will they continue to go down in price? The C6 offers considerably better performance, just in the standard model alone. Will people start dumping their Z's?

And no wishful optimism just because you want to see the value of your car go up.;)

Honestly I could care less. I drive mine and enjoy it for myself. If I was one of the ego bearing morons I would have gotten a C5 by now. (no offense Fred :D )

In my opinion , if a person is looking for a great driving comfortable car to travel in , a C5 or C6 is the way to go . But if your looking for a great car thats alot of fun and are thinking in terms of investment , you should consider the ZR-1 . If you spend forty grand on a nice C5 today , in ten years it will be worth something like eighteen grand . Now , if you spend say thirty grand on a really clean , low milage ZR-1 , in ten years it may be worth forty grand . This may be true for some other Vettes too . CE's are a bargain right now but will be sought after in years to come .( my opinion ) This is a great time to consider both of these for investment . Thats why I don't think the bottom will drop out of these special cars the way it has for the other C4's and the way it seems to be starting to happen with the C5's . Cliff

DkBG said:
In my opinion , if a person is looking for a great driving comfortable car to travel in , a C5 or C6 is the way to go . But if your looking for a great car thats alot of fun and are thinking in terms of investment , you should consider the ZR-1 . If you spend forty grand on a nice C5 today , in ten years it will be worth something like eighteen grand . Now , if you spend say thirty grand on a really clean , low milage ZR-1 , in ten years it may be worth forty grand . This may be true for some other Vettes too . CE's are a bargain right now but will be sought after in years to come .( my opinion ) This is a great time to consider both of these for investment . Thats why I don't think the bottom will drop out of these special cars the way it has for the other C4's and the way it seems to be starting to happen with the C5's . Cliff
Cliff,

I agree 100% with your assessment. BTW what happened to your C5?

Remo:cool

Jeffvette said:
Honestly I could care less. I drive mine and enjoy it for myself. If I was one of the ego bearing morons I would have gotten a C5 by now. (no offense Fred :D )
I'm not interested in the subject for the sake of egos---My angle is someone that want's a Z more than ANY C5 or C6, and wondering when the best time to buy is.:D

People usually don't buy 15 year old performance cars and expect to get performance better than what is offered during current day. Think about Ferrari 308's... they still sell for quite a chunk of change, even though a modern day 6 cyl mustang could probably out-run one.

People buy them for the style, the feel, the sound, etc. etc. People also buy them because it was a car they couldn't own when they were current (not old enough, not enough $$$), but fell in love with them... now that they can own one, they finally buy.

In my opinion, the only thing that will hurt the value of the ZR1 is lack of parts... In 10 years, it will probably be tough to get some of the ZR1 specific parts (even now I hear some parts are getting hard to find), and production wasn't high enough for companies to make a profit of re-making them.

I have to respectfully disagree with Vettelt193. Lack of parts will actually increase the value of ZR-1's. The harder a mint car is to come by, the more valuable they become. This is especially true of a limited edition, highly collectible car like the ZR-1. Several dealers have parted out ZR-1s at a profit, and every Z off the road makes the remaining ones more valuable.

Performance commands a premium, and the ZR-1 hasn't really been KOTH since the '02 Z-06 came out. That car moved a lot of the speed freaks out of their C4s. The C6 may add a bit more supply to the ZR-1 market, but honestly, can you see prices dropping below the mid-teens that many '90 and '91 cars are fetching? I can't.

There are enough collectors and casual fans on the sidelines, that will snap these cars up at prices below $20k for good->excellent condition ZR-1s. I believe the '90 and '91s are pretty close to the bottom of their value. '92-'95 will drop a bit more, but I honestly don't see the 405HP models ever getting below $25k for a nice example (<50k, and no major issues).

There are still lots of people racing and modding these babies. Everyone of those makes the remaining cherry stock cars even more value. As time goes by and there are fewer and fewer nice examples left, the value will begin to appreciate. I would expect this to start happening in 8-10 years. In the meantime, we'll see prices drop a little, but mostly stay pretty flat.

Just my $0.02

-Burt

It will be business as usual. This has happened many times before, with just about every performance automobile ever built. The ZR-1 will be even more sought after. Just wait till the car is 20 years old, and as mentioned above the stock ones that have been taken care of, even some with higher mileage will be worth quite a bit more than they're bringing today. Just like fine wine, it will go up in value as it ages.

Corvette Magazine recently did an article on the C4's and what they expected the prices to do. I'll post some of what they said when I get home. They specifically talked about the ZR-1's, Callaways and LT4's.

Edmond said:
Corvette Magazine recently did an article on the C4's and what they expected the prices to do. I'll post some of what they said when I get home. They specifically talked about the ZR-1's, Callaways and LT4's.
Interesting!

I think it will be like it always is, the cars from 2 generations back and beyond will continue to increase in price as less and less of them are around.

When the C-6 comes out good for it I personal do not like the look of the C-6 and I only only liked the FRC or Z06 in the C-5 platform, had a Z06 02 electron blue black interior, for a while But I could tell the resale on these cars was in the craper and with my deployment to Iraq in late 02 I decided to sell one of the vettes so I sold the Z06, Im glad I did because I would now be with a low milage 2002 Z06 that no one would want to give me $30,000 Ive seen what some people are offering for these low milage Z06's its sickening.

I had my high milage ZR1 at the same time as the Z06 and kept my ZR1 for the love of the car, oh and high milage Im talking 41,000 miles, I have also added to my collection another 1990 ZR1 dark red metalic black interior with 17,000 miles on the clock.

which do you think will be worth more?

I will probably be selling the dark red metalic car sometime next year after I get back from this second tour in Iraq but Im not to sure I want to sell it..

i think by the time Im ready to sell again we will really see what the C-6 has done to our cars, alot of C-4 owners may be upgrading into the low milage C-5's and alot of people might get a C-5 to mod
who knows???

only time will tell

thxalot said:
I have to respectfully disagree with Vettelt193. Lack of parts will actually increase the value of ZR-1's. The harder a mint car is to come by, the more valuable they become. This is especially true of a limited edition, highly collectible car like the ZR-1. Several dealers have parted out ZR-1s at a profit, and every Z off the road makes the remaining ones more valuable.

Performance commands a premium, and the ZR-1 hasn't really been KOTH since the '02 Z-06 came out. That car moved a lot of the speed freaks out of their C4s. The C6 may add a bit more supply to the ZR-1 market, but honestly, can you see prices dropping below the mid-teens that many '90 and '91 cars are fetching? I can't.

There are enough collectors and casual fans on the sidelines, that will snap these cars up at prices below $20k for good->excellent condition ZR-1s. I believe the '90 and '91s are pretty close to the bottom of their value. '92-'95 will drop a bit more, but I honestly don't see the 405HP models ever getting below $25k for a nice example (<50k, and no major issues).

There are still lots of people racing and modding these babies. Everyone of those makes the remaining cherry stock cars even more value. As time goes by and there are fewer and fewer nice examples left, the value will begin to appreciate. I would expect this to start happening in 8-10 years. In the meantime, we'll see prices drop a little, but mostly stay pretty flat.

Just my $0.02

-Burt
I honestly hope you are right... I would love to see the value of any C4 to go up! I guess only time will tell:)

C6's introduction will put a flood of C5s on the market and that, in turn, will further depress ZR-1 prices.

That's good because it allows new people access to our hobby but it's bad for those who own ZR-1s for speculation or investment.

With the exception of very unique ZR-1s with either some unique history, very low mileage and in very good condition, I don't see ZR-1 prices rising any time soon. I suspect it will be another 5 years before we see any big upward movement in prices of complete vehicles.

Right now, in some cases, ZR-1s which are parted-out bring more than complete cars. This is because of the limited availability of some parts, particularly body pieces.

Hib Halverson said:
Right now, in some cases, ZR-1s which are parted-out bring more than complete cars. This is because of the limited availability of some parts, particularly body pieces.

Yes very true I parted out 2 91's this year and Parts are always a small gold mine, that is if they are in good shape, I sold the rear bumper $600 rear quarters without hailo $600 and the doors for $600.

I parted out a motor this year as well because no one wanted to buy it complete.

someday the prices will come up, But untill them either sell it and get a Z06 or drive it like there is no tomorrow! :_rock

I agree w/ Hib on this one. Which since Im not a ZR1 owner, yet, it doesn't bother me. I want to see them get to a point where I can afford to put a 94 next to my B2k and then watch the prices rise :D

"The C6 offers considerably better performance, just in the standard model alone. Will people start dumping their Z's?"

I'm curious. The only performance numbers I've seen on the C6 are 4.2 seconds 0-60, and 12.6 second 1/4 mile. And these are GM press release numbers.

These performance figures seem like they are close to the ranges for ZR-1 corvettes---> 0-60 in 4.5-5.0 seconds, 1/4 mile in just under 13 seconds and these numbers have been verified by a host of others. Definitely does not seem like considerably better performance. Any comments? Also, for those into modifying the engines, seems like the LT-5 would have a lot more headroom.

C6 times:

0-60: 4.3 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.7

ZR-1 times:

0-60: 4.6 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.9

And the C6 weighs 300 pounds less, and handles better. .98 g on the skidpad.

I would definitely say that counts as better performance.

And all for 43.5K in a brand new car. I have seen people want 45K for their '95 Z's.

0.3 seconds in the 0-60 time, and 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile is considerably better? I'll bet money that no one else will reporduce these numbers either, and that they will probably inflate by the difference.

I'm not trying to be arguementative, but my only point was it looks to me like a toss-up on the performance part of the equation.

Those were Car and Driver's times. Not GM's.

And by "considerable" I didn't mean a half second or something. Just a noticeable, real, difference. And there is more to performance that straight line drags. I was including handling as well.

Fair enough. Can you tell that I just bought a ZR-1 within the last week? (Ha Ha).

mnl119 said:
0.3 seconds in the 0-60 time, and 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile is considerably better? I'll bet money that no one else will reporduce these numbers either, and that they will probably inflate by the difference.

I'm not trying to be arguementative, but my only point was it looks to me like a toss-up on the performance part of the equation.

.3 seconds from 0-60 is pretty considerable. We also have to consider the braking distance.

We're comparing a 2005 car to a car that was made from 90-95. It's not really a fair comparison.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom