Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What documents to buy a car in the US?

K

Kiwi Bloke

Hi gang,

When I do finally come over to buy a C4, what documents will I need to provide to a dealer or to a private seller, in order to buy the car?

As a "foreigner", will I need to provide proof of address, or a passport as proof of identity?

Will it make a difference that I'll have UK and NZ driving licenses, but not a US license?

Will it be difficult to get comprehensive insurance for the two weeks that I'll be driving it before shipping it home? (I'll be 42 when I buy the car.) And what documents will the insurers need to see?

How do I "de-register" the car before shipping?

So many questions! What AM I like?!

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

I think insurance would have to be bought at a 6 month minimum. I'm not too sure in your case, though. Best bet would be to call an insurance agency and ask them.

Cash usually works best and at least in Illinois, it's pretty much the responsibility of the buyer when it comes to insurance and a drivers license.

You should bring your license with you and all documentation like a passport. I have no idea how you would register the vehicle because you'd need a permanent US address.

Edmond said:
I have no idea how you would register the vehicle because you'd need a permanent US address.
This is the main thing that is concerning me.

But, what do people do when they sell their house and buy a motorhome to live in and travel for many years? They don't have a permanent address either.

Adrian

Why would you want to register the car in the US? I'm assuming that you are taking it back with you. Get your paperwork and register it when you get home. The car will be registered in the dealer's name and depending on the State you have a certain number of days to change the registration.

The dealers want to do it because they charge a fee.

I'll be driving it for two weeks before I ship it home - I want to do it all legally. But if there's a couple of weeks' grace-period, then it would show up with the dealer's name for that time, I guess.

Adrian

You may want to call your insurance company and ask them. I'm sure they can asnswer your question quite efficently.

Thanks for the links Ken! That parallel imports thing really drove prices down, and made things available from many outlets. It didn't destabilise Capitalism or make the world spin slower. Too many gloom-mongers out there! I did enjoy the comment from our then Prime Minister, Jenny Shipley:

In a sharp response to US protests, Jenny Shipley, New Zealand prime
minister, warned the US to stop interfering in New Zealand affairs: "We
will not be told how to run our country."

The Mouse that Roared, hey? <grin>

Adrian

Kiwi, if you're buying from a dealer in a state that requires auto insurance (not all do, sadly) then you'll have to provide proof of insurance. if you're buying from a private party, they pretty much provide all the needed paperwork - title transfer documents and the original title and such. If you want a temporary tag, then you'll again need proof of insurance if you're in one of those states.

Some states require you to pay a percentage of the car's price as tax when you register it, some base that on the bluebook value of the car, and some just charge a flat fee. You may also need to get the car inspected in order to register it, and have to make any repairs needed before you can do so. The laws vary widely by state, so your best best is to figure out where you want to be when you buy it and look at those laws.

See what your insurance company says. Mine gives me instant coverage when I buy a car, and I have 30 days to complete the paperwork.

Some states, btw, like Georgia, don't even have temporary tags - there's a little sticker that says "TAG APPLIED FOR" that goes in your windshield (windscreen :)) and that's it. And most (all?) states allow foreign tags for less than 30 days - a friend of mine drove around with tags from Morocco for at least a year before they figured him out. So you might want to bring a set of plates with you when you come if you can manage that...

Maybe someone can rustle up an "Auto Transporter" tag for you :). They're used when a dealership or car company is driving a car from place to place.

[RICHR]

Kiwi Bloke said:
Hi gang,

When I do finally come over to buy a C4, what documents will I need to provide to a dealer or to a private seller, in order to buy the car?

As a "foreigner", will I need to provide proof of address, or a passport as proof of identity?

Will it make a difference that I'll have UK and NZ driving licenses, but not a US license?

Will it be difficult to get comprehensive insurance for the two weeks that I'll be driving it before shipping it home? (I'll be 42 when I buy the car.) And what documents will the insurers need to see?

How do I "de-register" the car before shipping?

So many questions! What AM I like?!

Regards,

Adrian
You don't need any documents to buy the car. Most states will issue temporary tags to any individual that last one month for a fee. The car does not have to be permanently registered nor does it matter who's name the car is in for temps. You can buy insurance here one month at a time for a higher fee. You will need proof of insurance on yourself at least. Here you can insure the car which includes yourself also, or just insure yourself to drive any car you don't own or own yet. There is a 30 day new car grace period on insurance that covers you in any car you just bought if you are previously insured. However come prepared to test for a license because I don't think you can drive here with a foreign license period. Nor can you be insured. If you tow the car off the lot you won't need insurance. If you intend to drive it off you will. Plenty more technicalities, just ask when you need.

Richard.

Kiwi Bloke said:
This is the main thing that is concerning me.

But, what do people do when they sell their house and buy a motorhome to live in and travel for many years? They don't have a permanent address either.

Adrian
You don't have to register your new car here at all if you don't want too. There's no reason to pay the taxes because you're shipping the car off.

Richard.

Lots of advice given - some conflicting because every state has differrent requirements. We have no "National" standard for licensing and insuring a vehicle. We are United (but different in many ways) States of America as opposed to a single nation such as New Zealand.
In Illinois for example, you can buy from a private party (and maybe some dealers) without even showing a drivers license.
If you ever need an address in this country in order to buy and/or insure a car here, let me know. I'm sure we can work something out on a temporary basis. Do you have any friends or relatives here in the U.S. Having a U.S. citizen (someone you could trust) as an interim owner is another possibility.
I live in Illinois (central U.S.). Let me know if I can help in any way. I have a friend originally from this area but living in Sydney for the past 20+ years who could provide a good reference.
Terry

One thing you must remember, as KEN pointed out in the sites, NOT ALL the states require the same documents, to purchase and transfer the vehicle to your ownership.. BUT, YOU MUST provide PROOF OF OWNERSHIP in order to ship the vehicle, and most of the time that requires you to spend at least half a day at the local DMV (Department or Division of Motor Vehicles), and often you must pay tax on the transfer, (which is non refundable), unless you sign an affidavit that you are not going to operate the vehicle. Some states you can get a new TITLE while you stand there, others will amil it to you, only after they have done an investigation to ascertain that the title is clear.

Since you are desiring to drive it a few weeks, prior to shipping it out, you must plan on a few hundred extra dollars to transfer the title, tax, and fees to license it. Insurance can quite often be arranged through your local agent in NZ before you depart, if they are a large company. (Similar to the "traveling card" you can get to indicate that you have insurance when you go to rent a vehicle. This indicates when it expires and might also indicate the limits of coverage. )

Also as previously discussed, most juristictions require you to have a 6 month policy, but you can get a refund on a policy once you can prove that it is no longer in their jurisdiction. You send/take a copy of the policy, along with shipping documents indicating that it has been shipped to New Zealand permanently, and you'll get a checque in the mail, not directly proportional to what you would expect, but a refund. (If you have a clean record, and with the powers of computers they find out quickly if yo don't, you might have to shell out anywhere from $250 to $1000 for a six month policy.

Back to shipping, lots of pictures when you turn it in, (include oddometer statements), so you can get good coverage from the carrier of the vehicle, in the event the container is lost overboard in a tsunami or some knucklehead smacks it up "hot footing it in the ship yard" etc.

Shipping a vehicle will be best expedited through a brokerage, as I believe that Southern California to New Zealand, there are a few lines which go that way, but not too many which routinely carry cars. So your vehicle would be "containerized" in Los Angeles, loaded on a ship heading to New Zealand. There is scheduled service that way. (Containerization has it's positive sides, but provide desicant sacks to absorb extra moisture in your interior.) Not all containers are tight nor is the trip guaranteed to be a smooth one for your new acquisition. Also putting stabilizer in the gastank to keep the gas from seperating. (Most lines require the vehicle have no gas in it, but you must have something to keep the moisture from rusting the interoir of the gas tank, and evaporating and all the "gunk" clogging up the filter on the fuel pump, and the regular fuel filter in the line.

I know, too much too soon, but having shipped half a dozen vehicles while I was in the military, I've learned a few things.

Lots of Luck!!!!

It's not hard. I am Canadian and purchased my Corvette in Sacramento California less than 2 years ago. Anyone can buy a car to export it and because it is leaving the country it does not need to pay taxes or to be registered in the U.S.

Your first consideration is checking your local and federal government and making sure that this model is approved for import. Make sure that the year/model is OK. Most models are approved into Canada except for a couple because of the bumper impact test.
The easiest thing for me was to bring U.S. cash so there was no delay with cheques, money orders, cashier's cheques, etc. The seller provided me with a hand-written bill of sale. I had previously purchased an insurance binder from home that allowed me to drive the car from Sacramento to Vancouver. This insurance binder ONLY allowed me to drive it from point A to point B within 10 days.
In your case because you cannot drive it home I would have the seller drive it to the point of shipment unless inconvenient. If inconvenient then I would have my home insurance provide me with the insurance binder but this binder will not likely allow you to drive it around for pleasure before export.
The next most important thing is that I had to provide all papers to U.S. Customs. They insist on 72 hours of delay before they process it and I'm sure it was just to check that the vehicle was not stolen or had other incumbrances against it before it left the country. Make sure you do this. It was much more important in my case because I may sell it back into the U.S. one day and I needed it stamped "approved for export"...you're not likely to.

Probably most important of all is checking with with your local, federal governments and local insurance company before you start. If like Canada, they will provide you with pamphlets that will detail all issues.

Any questions you can e-mail me at safety_match@hotmail.com

Wow! Thanks guys. Lots of information, and many points that I hadn't considered. I've got two years to get it all organised, but of course both US and NZ regulations could change in that time!

I didn't appreciate that rules could be significantly different in different states. When I finally locate the car I want, there will then be a mad scramble to find out the laws in that state! I suppose it wouldn't be fun if it was easy!

I *definitely* want to drive it around your glorious country, and the idea of shipping it out of SoCal agrees in general with my desire to go through the middle of Las Vegas at night in the car. And of course, the car needs to cross the Pacific to get here, so that's the correct side of the country.

I'll have a chat with my local insurance company, and also find out if there is such thing as an "International Drivers License" that I can get from here.

It would be so much easier to not drive it before shipping, but that's the whole point!

Adrian

rrubel said:
Some states, btw, like Georgia, don't even have temporary tags - there's a little sticker that says "TAG APPLIED FOR" that goes in your windshield (windscreen :)) and that's it. And most (all?) states allow foreign tags for less than 30 days - a friend of mine drove around with tags from Morocco for at least a year before they figured him out. So you might want to bring a set of plates with you when you come if you can manage that...
[RICHR]
Terminology problem here! By "tag" are you referring to physical registration plates to fit on the car? If so, I do have a spare set of "1 SHADY" plates for my current car, that I could bring. Our plates are the same physical size as yours.

Adrian

Before you leave NZ, can you get an International Driver's License? That should be good in any country that is part of the agreement. Check with the US Consulate or your government office that issues driver's licenses.

Some of the states will have a non-resident plate they will issue when you buy a car. In any event, you should be prepared to pay the entire amount for the car. The money should be available as a bank draft or use your financial institution to do a wire transfer. This might take a few days to accomplish but it is the safest way. Check with your bank to see how they can get you the funds you will need in the safest and fastest way. Cash to a private party is the easiest way to buy a car, but carrying cash through Customs is not a good thing to do. Travelers Checks would be the best and saftest way if you want buy a car using cash.

There are probably a number of ways to get car insurance, but check with with your own company too. The majority of US companies will automatically extend coverage to a recentely purchased vehicle for 30 days or so. This gives a person time to buy the car and do the paperwork later. Some companies only need a phone call to add a car to a current policy. Insurance is almost a necessity anymore, so get this part of the plan ironed out soon.

I would also arrange with a shipper in NZ to handle transportation. They should have companies in the States they work with and can recommend one to contact when you are here. Don't worry about a company that may be miles away from you when you buy the car as the shipping company will contract with a local car transporter to pick the car up and deliver it to the shipping point in the US. Get shipping prices firmed up and a guarenteed delivery date to you in NZ. Have an extra set of keys made as soon as you buy the car. Do not ship anything with the car, no souveiners or such as they might disappear on you.

Yes, by "tag" I mean the license plate... I guess you can also call them registration plates, but at least in Maryland we have a separate piece of paper for proof of registration.

Realize, of course, that if you are caught using plates that aren't registered to that specific car, you can get in trouble. However, that doesn't seem to be a big priority with at least OUR local police force. It's one of those things that lots of people do temporarily and nobody really cares. Yes, I did it when I bought my Vette and my temporary tags expired before I could get the car past inspection...

One other point: Depending on where you purchase your car (or where you plan to end up after driving), there are a number of ports that have car shipping facilities. As someone else suggested, the state of California (on the west coast) is probably the closest to home for you, as much as anything in the US could be considered "close"... However, Baltimore Maryland (on the East coast, about a l-o-n-g day's drive from Bowling Green, Kentucky) has a big car port (years ago my mom imported a Volvo to here while living in Illinois) as does New York to the north. There are also trucking companies that will transport your car from coast to coast for about $1300 in an enclosed trailer.

[RICHR]

Kiwi Bloke said:
Terminology problem here! By "tag" are you referring to physical registration plates to fit on the car? If so, I do have a spare set of "1 SHADY" plates for my current car, that I could bring. Our plates are the same physical size as yours.

Adrian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom