Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What does this mean???

7NT1VETTE

I found a 1969 Silver Corvette Coupe with the only options being factory side exhaust, and am/fm radio. It has the 427/435 L71 engine in it but in the casting before the numbers it says "CE" I know this means it was replaced. But I would like to know information about this engine. The seller says he has paper work saying that It was replaced by Gm in 1969 because it lost the compression or something that caused it to malfunction. What is this car worth? The engine curretly has 45,000 miles.How much does this hurt resale value because of this CE block. I would imagine it would be worth more money then any old engine dropped inside it because it was replaced by the factory. Please respond, need to make decision.

Thank You

Thank You for the reply. I will have to ask him about what exactly was replaced but would this CE code compensate at all for having a NOM engine? From what I understand CE blocks were replaced with the originals in a car that was under warranty. Can't find any more info on it.

c5d:
Thanks for posting that site http://www.teufert.net/ that is a great site for information about old engines / cams / etc.

:w :beer :)

Really don't know what "CE" stands for (have heard Chevy Engine, Crate Engine, and Counter Engine). But it is generaly a warranty replacement short block. Big blocks were generaly driven hard and a lot blew up during the warranty period. Thus they just stuck as CE short block in under the original heads and intake.

A CE engine is not the original engine. There is only one original engine (once it is gone it can never be replaced, thus the high value for an original engine car). CE is a replacement engine, no different then if you replace the short block 20 years later. Only difference is that it was a GM engine rather than a Joe Blowe engine.

tom...

7NT1VETTE said:
I found a 1969 Silver Corvette Coupe with the only options being factory side exhaust, and am/fm radio. It has the 427/435 L71 engine in it but in the casting before the numbers it says "CE" I know this means it was replaced. But I would like to know information about this engine. The seller says he has paper work saying that It was replaced by Gm in 1969 because it lost the compression or something that caused it to malfunction. What is this car worth? The engine curretly has 45,000 miles.How much does this hurt resale value because of this CE block. I would imagine it would be worth more money then any old engine dropped inside it because it was replaced by the factory. Please respond, need to make decision.

Hi: One thing to remember about all of this "custom car", "vintage car", "original car", etc. in terms of value. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Stated value, either by a, so called, expert, professional, etc. or a expertise publication can help in persuading value, but if you ask a certain price for a vehicle & nobody ever buys it, then I guess you can say that it's not really worth that price, regardless of who says it is. Just my couple of pennies worth.

BTW: Hold out long enough & I'm sure somebody may come along eventually, you never know in this business of vintage autos!

Dave

Re: Re: What does this mean???

cruisin-davey-g said:
Hi: One thing to remember about all of this "custom car", "vintage car", "original car", etc. in terms of value. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Stated value, either by a, so called, expert, professional, etc. or a expertise publication can help in persuading value, but if you ask a certain price for a vehicle & nobody ever buys it, then I guess you can say that it's not really worth that price, regardless of who says it is. Just my couple of pennies worth.
Well said Dave. The only real value is what a willing seller and a willing buyer agree to. That is the value of the car.

tom...

Thanks for your posts. I aprreciate it! I have another question this car is a dark gray or dark silver, sort of like a gunmetal silver. Was this color ever made in '69? I thought it might be cortez silver but if I recall that is a light silver. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom