Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what else do i need for exhaust install

baxsom

Corvette
72 454 convertible, 2000 C5 Z51
ok,
i am putting a new exhaust into the 72 BB. I just want to make sure I have everything I need.

this is what i have so far
I am resusing the stock manifolds (for now).

i have a new 2.5 inch spacer to take the place of the heat riser.
new 2.5 inch front pipes,
mid pipes,
magnaflows,
clamps,
new tips.

am i missing anything that i havent thought of yet.
or is there anything that will make the install easier.

it is the magnaflow 2.5 inch kit from corvette central.

There must be some type of hangers, unless you included them with clamps?

Mike

I think the one on the transmission is all steel and could probably be used over if in good condition. If I was putting on an entire new system, I think I would replace the hangers with rubber in them. Sometimes even this is a judgement call if the old ones are better than what you can buy new because of poor quality. Just my .02.

Mike

cool
i will take a look at the old one.
i just wasnt sure if i needed a special hangar since it was a 2.5 inch pipe instead of the 2 that was on it now.

If you are putting on the bigger pipes. you might need new hanges, depending on what type hangers that are on there, if the ends of the pipe clamp go into some type of holes, it won't fit, if the clamp goes around the hanger part, it will most likely work.

i dont see beer and band aids on that list!
:beer

oh yea dont forget the heat wrench and the B.F.H.:D

bandaids are always on the list.
strangely the more beer that get drunk the more the bandaids are needed.

oh and, when i was removing my oem manifolds i found a nice size crack in them. i decided to replace them with hedman headers.

my questions. like i said earlier i have the corvette central 2.5 inch magnaflow system. it came with the front pipes to connect to the oem manifolds but since i cant use those anymore how do i connect the headers to the rest of the system.

i have heard that these work well.
any confirmation

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...ED-18700&N=700+400143+305266+115&autoview=sku

I used "shorty" headers and had to fabricate my own connection to the exhaust pipes. At a minimum, you'll need to weld a flange to your exhaust system to attach to the header. Get the pipe length right first before you cut and weld anything.

i was thinking to just use that flexible pipe to get me to the exhaust shop and have them fab me something to fit but i was hoping that with as many people here that have headers that there would be a good solution already out there that was a bolt in

You might be able to clamp the header flanges to your exhaust pipes once you cut them to the proper length. Maybe someone else on the forum has experience in doing it that way. If it works, you could weld it later. From what I've read, you want to get your H-pipe as close to the headers as possible.

I currently have a true dual set-up on my 1980, and will be adding an H-pipe in a few weeks. I should have done it in the first place. There seems to be a general consensus that the H-pipe is the way to go.

When I replaced mine I had a complete system that was supposed to bolt to my headders, well, it didn't work! I just drove it without any exhaust except the headders to a speed shop that did exhaust work. They did a great job!!! It was fun going with open exhaust again, just like I was drag racing again!

yeah thats what i did with my old mustang.
open headers to the exhaust shop.
god that was loud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom