Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What engine do I have?

Blue 88

Corvette
1988 med. blue Coupe
Please help me with finding out what type engine I have. I bought a 88' coupe. It came with all the paper work from the previous owner. He had a Chev 350 High output 355 HP crate engine installed in 1996. It has 60,000 mi. on it.

How do I determine if it's a LT-1, L-98....? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks,

;help

Hope this helps: Are you sure it's an L98 or LT1 if it was/is a Crate Engine?

L98 Engine

1985%20L98%20TPI.jpg

LT1 Engine

LT1_motorA_a.jpg

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

It has to be the L98. That's what it looks like. The guy put it in in 1996. Thanks very much for the pictures. It made it pretty easy. The radiator has the timing spec of 10 degrees BTDC. So can I just buy things like injectors and plugs for a L-98? Is there a way to figure out which year the block is? Thanks again!

Also- When you talk about codes, do you have to have grounding plugs? I have the shop repair manual that tells you what to do for the code...?
:lou

He had a Chev 350 High output 355 HP crate engine installed in 1996.

If it was a GM crate engine , possible it is a ZZ4.
Does it have Alum heads?
ZZ4 crate engine is upgraded version of the L98 with forged internals ,4 bolt mains and bigger roller cam while still using the L98 alum heads. Does it have a "muscle car " idle?
If you can access the codes stamped on the block pad (under A/c compressor) should give a better indication.The block casting # (on the rear of block ) was used for many different configurations so not much good.

When you talk about codes, do you have to have grounding plugs?
read here
http://www.corvettebuyers.com/ecm.html

Yes- It does have the Muscle car idle. I looked at the paperwork again and found that it is a ZZ4 crate. L-98, aluminum heads. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. You guys are great.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom