Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what gaskets do i need to install rhoads lifters?

• Thread starter Roasted Garlic Chicken
  • Start date
R

Roasted Garlic Chicken

I have a super ram

so that gasket,

valve cover gaskets, i think mine are leaking

i have AFR 195 street eliminators heads, so the fel-pro 1205 intake gaskets.

Jon at FIC say I don't need injector Orings, I can re use them, I have his Bosch 3's 30 lbs.

anything else?

which version of the rhoads should I go with, my cam now is a 280 xfi comps, 230/236,

a tad too big, or is a cam change the better route, but it is way mor expensive. and I can't do it in my complex.

comments?

Gaskets will not have any affect on the use of Rhoads lifters but you cannot use them in an engine that has to use a knock sensor such as your 1987.

I do my own tuning, and they say the knocking from the lifters are at low rpm.

i just what to inventory the gaskets i need to buy, so i don't miss anything

my car is a 1989 not 87

Are you gonna get the gaskets for the super ram? I'm sure you'll have to disassemble it to get to the intake bolts.

As "redvette" suggests, Rhoads lifters are liable to cause false knock retard.

Additionally, the shortening of duration which Rhoads lifters can acomplish at low rpm is only marginal, ie: you can "help" a camshaft that is a "little" too big but you can fix a cam that is grossly mismatched.

Lastly, if part of the problem is port volumes that are too large, Rhoads lifters can't help that at all.

frankly sir I don't know if I even have a problem, you see my signature, that is the combo I am running.

I don't have a clue about port volume, that are grossly mismatched, I suppose it is not the case since it runs soooo. sweet.

I would not mind for a longer term goal to swap out the 2100 stall and go way tighter 1500?, and as a precursor; to increase low to mid torque, via the use of the Rhoads, and not loose too much top end, as a cam swap would invariably do.

beside I can't work on my car here in my fine housing complex, not that type of work anyways, and I am at the mercy of "the shop", needless to say a cam swap is more involved and concomitant cost will rise.

when I data-log I do get all kinds of false knock events, at start up this it goes away,they are saying the Rhoads are noisiest at the bottom and idle, for what I care if it pulls timing then, I can always go in there and tweak it out, that said I will do more research on the prior to my commitment to this.

I did speak to Rhoad and their Vmax will be noisier since it bleed down more, I am going with the classic version, I have read in numerous places that they were noisy and some says otherwise.

anyhow, they publish 10-15 degree and the same on lift reduction, I think I can rely on those parameters to assist in my deciding.

Well...with your 10.7 CR, pump gas and Rhoads lifters not only are you going to have false knock retard due to the lifter niose at idle and the low end, if you spark curve is even stock, you're going to have real detonation problems in the mid range.

Sure you can go in and tweak the spark tables or change the KR strategy but you're going to end up with doggy response, due to not enough advance.

Looking at your sig lines, you've spent a shit load of dough on nice parts but with the detonaton making KR because of 3/4th of a point too much compression and potential false KR problems due to lifter noise, some of the benefits of all those parts will be wasted.

Good luck.

The stock spark table went bye bye a thousand years ago...

frankly I dialed the spark way back in some area and the overall performance profile was improved, not the other way around

I am a student of this tuning thing, in Los Angeles, no one does it, the C4 are just neglected in that regard, I am not boasting I have it down, but the 2 years spend learning to tune has resulted in a rather good data log I believe,

I don't know you, but your reputation is big, and I respect your insight, I am no where married to this notion, my addiction to the car ceases with this final, modification, if you can call it that, be it a cam change or Rhoads, I am going to grill Rhoads, some people swear by them, that I also respect and henceforth I may be willing to take the risk of running un-optimally.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom