Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is a 92 coupe with 92K worth?? anything problem areas to look at?

redlines

My moms friend has a 92 coupe, at. The options it has are dual power seats, bose cd stereo, and electronic air cond control. I ran the RPO codes and it doesn't have the performace axle or the adustable suspension package. He is the 2nd owner, the first owner was his brother and they are both 55+. Its looks pretty clean and he has trouble getting in and out of it now because of his age. He is asking $8000 but I think I can get it for $7000. Seems like a good deal to me?? Anything to look at when I go test drive it?
Thanks

I'd pay no more than $7k for it. Check the CD player...they are prone to not working in the C4's after awhile.

Elaine

'92 is the first year for the new LT1 and it had a few bugs or differences. Nothing bad, just different.

It may be worth $8k but that's up to you.

Check where it parks for oil leaks. It's not uncommon for the intake and/or oil pan plug to leak a little. Check the rear end for leaks also.

At this age and mileage, it probably needs new hubs on all four wheels, brakes pads/rotors, hoses and belts. Fine out what the owners has done for service and see how much you may have to do. Plan on servicing everything (coolant, belt, hoses, brakes, etc.) if the owner has not done so recently.

The 92 was prone to fuel line hammer - a thunking noise that resonates through the car when it's cold. Doesn't hurt anything but it can be annoying. You will not notice it in the summer but it could show up next winter. There are fixes for it that make it mostly go away.

Check the headlights to see if they open and close together and that the motor stops running soon after reaching full open or full closed. If there a hitch in their movement or the motors keep running after the lights stop, the bushing will need to be replaced. The bushing in the gears are not expensive but can be a little bit of a pain to replace.

That's all I can think of at the momemt.

You checked the RPO listing and did not find FX3. How about Low Tire Pressure Warning System - UJ6. Both of those can be expensive to repair if they are on the car. My guess is no.

As mentioned, the CD player is a common issue. It may not work or may skip. Not much you can do about it either. The Bose speakers are another issue. Make sure they still work.

Now I'm done.

THANKS a lot for all responses. I will check everything you told me to look at. I do see that they changed a bunch of things in 93 heat shield, exhaust lobe profile and valve covers and 94 different fuel injection, new ingnition etc. So you think its only worth $7K? Should I just wait and try and get a 93+ for a little more. I have been looking and there is nothing 92 or newer with less than 100K for less than $9500+. The car doesn't have the low tire pressure or the FX-3 options. The only option I really wish it had that is doesn't would be the performace axle ratio which only 2280 were made in 92 so that must be a hard option to find in almost any year vette. What would be the max you guys pay for it. I have a 84 with 75K on it at, Z51 fully loaded. I am selling it for $3800 but it has peeling clear coat. So If I can pay another $4000 to upgrade to a 92+ that would work
Thanks

Approximately the first 5,000 Vettes built in '92 had the preformance axle (3.07:1 ratio) as a standard item. I know because I had one I purchased new. So, if you add those to the ones ordered as an option, you will have quite a few to choose from.

Chevy started putting the 2.59 gear in as standard to bring the fuel economy numbers up.

The 3.07 gear makes the automatic really come alive. I had a lot of fun!

SAVE the gosh darn :w

Also check the weather stripping, specifically around the front windshield and door windows. A lot of C4's show rubber splitting facing the rear vertical edge of the window doors. Also feel under the water pump after the engine is cool enough to touch. Do you feel any radiator fluid. Radiator fluid dripping on the Optispark is a no no and you'll have to replace the water pump before it destoys the Optispark.

The 93 and newer LT1s got the composite valve covers as well as a different cam profile to quieten the valve train noise. The '92 cam in combination with the metal valve covers allow more engine noise than to be heard than most people wanted. You can change out the valve covers but you need more than just the covers to make it work. Btw, the 92 cam is supposed to be more powerful than the 93-96 cam but not my much.

Thanks for all the responses. He will not take less than 7K for it so I am not sure if I am going to get it yet or not. Is the 92 the only year of the non vented opti spark?

Is the 92 the only year of the non vented opti spark?

92-94 are non-vented optispark distributors. When I say non-vented, I mean there is a passive venting system. There are three weep holes at the base of the unit.

95-96 are vented. There is a vacuum hose from the engine which constantly pulls any moisture from the unit.

I had a 92 and a 94 which I purchased new. Had the engine washed many times. No issues with either optispark. 92 had 50,000 miles and the 94 had 32,000 miles when I traded them in.

My 96 has almost 100,000 miles with the original opti. A little over a year ago I replaced the cap & rotor. The original rotor screws backed out and were sitting at the base of the unit. I had a little miss (lope) which I investigated. After installing the cap & rotor, the sucker runs great! I figure I will get another 100K out of her!

SAVE the gosh darn :w

I put over 100K on my 92 before upgrading the OptiSpard to the 'vented' type. I had one problem with water getting in it - it cold soaked for 3 days in Galveston County and everything was wet when I tried to start it. A hair dryer fixed it and it ran for years afterward.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom