Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what is round (filter?) next to fuel filter?

J

jmooney

Hello gang, In the process of doing much needed maintanice on my newly purchased 1987 Corvette, I saw something I am unsure of. While changing the fuel filter next to the frame, I noticed a round looking device that looks like a screw-on filter. Can anyone tell me what it is and what it is used for? Thanks. Jack.

It's a accumulator to help stop fuel rail knock I have heard there is a filter in there but don't know what number it is, I beleave it's on the return side so it may not see as much dirt as the main filter and is not as fine so it may not need as much servicing as the main filter. I think there is a number on it if not I will try to see what I can find out, it was also part of a kit that can be added to the other L98s.

David Fulcher

fuelfilter.jpg

:confused

Ken;
I bet you have an early 87, they did not have the accumulator it would have had to been added, it came out on later cars then in 88 they went to a different type on the steel ling coming from the fuel rail what looks like a thick silver disc, it's an accumulator.

David Fulcher

Here is a copy of the bulletin just incase someone out there doesn't believe me..........sort of..FUEL LINE KNOCK - COLD START INSTALL FUEL FILTER-ACCUM.ASSY #86-234
MODEL AND YEAR: 1985-86 CORVETTE

TO: ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

Some 1985-86 Corvettes may exhibit a hammering/knocking type noise audible in the vehicle passenger compartment after a cold start, which normally diminishes after 3-4 minutes of engine operation.

This condition may be caused by pressure pulsations in the fuel system generated by fuel injector operation, resulting in hydraulic hammering in the chassis fuel pipes.

Vehicles exhibiting this condition may be repaired by installation of a filter-accumulator assembly in the fuel return system. Service kits containing required parts and installation instructions are noted below by body style and are available from GMSPO.

Body Style Service Kit P/N ----------- --------------- Coupe 10068791 Convertible 10068797

Labor Operation Number: T1195 Labor Time: 1.4 Hours

Add: 1.1 Hours for Convertible

David Fulcher

Thanks for the information David. It is nice to be in the company of so many knowledgeable people! Maybe that is one part I will not have to worry about on this car. Jack

David-F said:

Some 1985-86 Corvettes may exhibit a hammering/knocking type noise audible in the vehicle passenger compartment after a cold start, which normally diminishes after 3-4 minutes of engine operation.

Hey! Mine does exactly that! I thought it was the cats rattling. Is this something GM has to fix for free, or only until the warrenty ran out?
[RICHR]

Sorry it's not something they have to fix also I don't know if parts are still available or not.

David Fulcher

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom