Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 What is the best air filter for the LT4?

1996 LT4 Topic
D

Dean Barker

I ordered a new AC air filter for my LT4 the other day after trying to find a Fram air filter. I noticed a lot of Corvette owners use K&N reusable filters. I was going to buy a K&N several years ago, but was unable at the time to find out the percent dirt that was removed. I even contacted K&N but they would not respond to my question. I have read that the typical oil wetted air filter will drop to taking out less than 25% of the dirt. I realize that technically you have to identify the particle size, etc. Fram will tell you that they use only paper that removes 99.99% of the dirt. Does anyone have anything to add to help in selecting the best filter for the LT4 engine?

Dean,

Most Corvette people use a K&N air filter and some even use a K&N oil filter like I do. For $60 and with it being reusable, you can't go wrong. A majority of us here at the CAC use K&N air filters.

air filter

Hi Dean,

I have the vortex ram air system, but I wish I would of bought the bat wing air filter that has the three filters. I had to cut out the shroud on my vette to install the vortex ram system. I didn't really like doing that but I didn't know about the bat wing system for the C4 until 6 month after I install the vortex ram air system. I don't really recommend the vortex ram air system....
See if you can find someone that has the bat wing on a C4 to find out there feelings on that model.....
Good luck and keep crusin,

Jim "Vette96CE:
:w :CAC :v

My opinion is that every engine should have a K & N filter. A regular filter works by having a sheet of folded paper with small holes that filter particles greater than a certain size. This is bad for two reasons: first, any particle smaller than the holes is free to pass through; second, as the holes fill up with particles, there are less holes for the air to pass through. There is increasing restriction from the day you install it in your car. A K & N works differently. There are no holes, but rather there is a three dimensional matrix of fibers coated with special sticky oil to pick up the dirt. Any size particle will stick to the fibers, no matter how small. And since there are no holes, there is still plenty of room for air flow even as the filter fills up with dirt. This means no decrease in air flow for many thousands of miles. Best of all, you will never have to buy another filter. They are easy to clean and re oil in your kitchen sink. Their web site shows results of independent tests that verify a high filtering efficiency.

www.knfilters.com

Lew

Air filter for LT4?

My opinion and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee. But this is what I found out after owning three C4s.
K&N filters are superb. Now there are other companies making similar wet gauze filters. Any one of them does a much better job than a paper filter for all of the before mentioned reasons.
The other thing that I did was cut out the top of the air cleaner assembly. You can buy a plastic top already open from MAD. Either way works well. You will feel a difference with acceleration. I clean mine once a year. I have saved quite a bit of money.
Good luck!
& Save the Wave!

SLP Cold Air Induction

Nickname Claw. 3 K&N filters, 100% seal and better air flow. The cost is about the same as a lid and filter.

Dean Barker said:
I ordered a new AC air filter for my LT4 the other day after trying to find a Fram air filter. I noticed a lot of Corvette owners use K&N reusable filters. I was going to buy a K&N several years ago, but was unable at the time to find out the percent dirt that was removed. I even contacted K&N but they would not respond to my question. Fram will tell you that they use only paper that removes 99.99% of the dirt. Does anyone have anything to add to help in selecting the best filter for the LT4 engine?

K&N makes it hard to find their filtration efficiency because it's not partculalry good compared to good paper filters. They supposidly meet manufatuers minumim requirements but don't want you comparing how well they filter compared to a factory paper filter. If they were good, they would have some nice big bright color comparison tests on their web page.

The LT-4 filter is big and there is basically no reduction in pressure drop by using a K&N. On the plus side, the K&N will take longer to get restrictive and you don't have to keep replacing it.

Follow the oiling instructions carefully though if you use one, to much oil and they get more restrictive, to little oil and protection goes down the tubes.
http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#WORD

Dick

Re: air filter

Vette96CE said:
Hi Dean,

I have the vortex ram air system, but I wish I would of bought the bat wing air filter that has the three filters. I had to cut out the shroud on my vette to install the vortex ram system. I didn't really like doing that but I didn't know about the bat wing system for the C4 until 6 month after I install the vortex ram air system. I don't really recommend the vortex ram air system....
See if you can find someone that has the bat wing on a C4 to find out there feelings on that model.....
Good luck and keep crusin,

Jim "Vette96CE:
:w :CAC :v

Jim,

Just curious as to why you don't recommend the Vortex system. Is it not gaining you the desired results?

lew said:
My opinion is that every engine should have a K & N filter. A regular filter works by having a sheet of folded paper with small holes that filter particles greater than a certain size. This is bad for two reasons: first, any particle smaller than the holes is free to pass through; second, as the holes fill up with particles, there are less holes for the air to pass through. There is increasing restriction from the day you install it in your car. A K & N works differently. There are no holes, but rather there is a three dimensional matrix of fibers coated with special sticky oil to pick up the dirt. Any size particle will stick to the fibers, no matter how small. And since there are no holes, there is still plenty of room for air flow even as the filter fills up with dirt. This means no decrease in air flow for many thousands of miles. Best of all, you will never have to buy another filter. They are easy to clean and re oil in your kitchen sink. Their web site shows results of independent tests that verify a high filtering efficiency.

www.knfilters.com

Lew

I wouldn't Oil in your sink though.... especially if you are married.

From K&N:

"...tests demonstrate K&N air filters generally achieve overall filtration efficiency in the range of 97% - 98%, while some of our air filter designs have achieved levels as high as 99%." "Our own testing has revealed wide differences in filtering capabilities. We were surprised to see some disposable paper air filters with an overall filtration efficiency as low as 93%."

...for what it's worth...

Re: SLP Cold Air Induction

tlong said:
Nickname Claw. 3 K&N filters, 100% seal and better air flow. The cost is about the same as a lid and filter.

But your missing the "Cold Air Induction" advantage, still sucking in hot underhood air into the engine!

I'm lookin' for more info on the Vortex Rammer system?

Re air filter

Edmond,

For the money I spent on the Vortex kit I would of expected
much bigger gains in HP. I'm only pulling 290 at the rear wheels.
I also have Hooker headers and the Corsa exhaust system.
The Vortex system doesn't make a good seal with the plastic shroud. I think there has to be a better way of getting cold air
into the air filter without changing the external look.
That's my two cents.

Jim "Vette96CE"

:CAC :v :Steer

Re: Re air filter

Vette96CE said:
Edmond,

For the money I spent on the Vortex kit I would of expected
much bigger gains in HP.
Jim "Vette96CE"

The stock LT-4 setup is pretty darn low restriction. No other system is going to make a big improvement because there isn't much left to improve. Mother Nature doesn;t car how much money you spent :)

A low restriction filter can make a big improvement on a car that has a restrictive stock filter, but the C4 element is abut the size of an aircraft carrier deck. Not much potential gain there.

;stupid ;stupid

But I use K&N

froggy47 said:
;stupid ;stupid

But I use K&N

Sounds good to me. If everything we did was completely rational, most of us wouldn't be driving Corvettes.

Life is too short for cheap beer and boring cars.

Dick

With the few miles most of us put on our Corvettes, the main advantage of the K&N is negated. I figure even changing the stock paper unit (which filters better than K&N, but clogs up more quickly) every 5000 miles, I'll still be money ahead when my son inherits the car. :L
BUT....sometimes we change things just because we can.

Larry
code5coupe
:w

cut lid VS. the claw

I installed the claw (K&N 3 filter) into a friends car and for that and a little extra car work he gave me his old stock filter lid and housing. Since I had a back up, I cut the lid and put in the square K&N filter. Since i've driven both before and after these mods both gave quicker throttle response but I personnaly cannot tell the difference. The looks of the claw are great though.

XS650 said:
Sounds good to me. If everything we did was completely rational, most of us wouldn't be driving Corvettes.

Life is too short for cheap beer and boring cars.

Dick
How about cheap and boring "chicks"

DCAATC
Dick Cox

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom