Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is the best C3 year to buy?

More ponies are very easy!

Silver is right on!

My 1978 4-speed came with about 185 hp from the factory. I have added roller tip rockers (did that myself), K&N air filter, Bosch Platinum plugs, 795 cfm carb, aluminum intake, elnarged exhaust (2.25 inches to 2.5 inches), high flow cat, low restriction mufflers. The car is easily 250 horsepower. I also converted to synthietic oil. The air pump is gone as well. So I added 65 hp, and deleted about 60 pounds of weight. The car moves.

I recently bought a GTech Pro accelerometer to measure my tweaks. The car is a full one second faster in the 0 to 60 measurement.

Have fun!!!!!!!! (God knows I am). And I drive mine everyday.

Jim

Gas mileage

For a gas mileage comparison, my '71 454 (bored .030 over) 4-speed gets about 10mpg city/12 mpg highway. However, I need to recheck it now that I just put the K&N on.

Barb :w

My 1970 BB , 454/540 , M21, 370 rear...gets the same as Barb (above) IF im easy on the throttle. 10mpg is the price you have to pay if you are going to have an early C3 BB...but good thing i only put on 2500 smiles per year :)

SwaveDave

I would have to say chrome bumper C3 convertible!! My friend has one and it looks like a million bucks!! :)

My vote is 1972 the last year for crome bumpers. In mint shape this year will be worth big bux in 10 years. just my .02

I went through this process not too long ago. I did all the research and zeroed in on a 70-72 coupe. My problem was that there were a lot of other factors that entered into the equasion (mileage/condition/originality/performance options & it HAD to be a 4-speed/budget). I finally found the car that fit all the criteria except the year (it was a '76), and I bought it. It has every performance option available that year. Its not screeming fast, but not bad for a stock mid-70's Vette. I have no regrets & the critics don't bother me a bit.

Wolverine

Best C-3

I have a '79 with the optional spoilers front and rear. It is black. There is no chrome to worry about, and there are tons of them around so they are not expensive. It seems to me that all you see around are the C-4 and C-5's. My Vette club has 150 cars and only 5 of them are C-3's. I just like the look of them. That and Black is Beautiful! [:D)

UpperNineD, We currently own a 72 LT-1 and an 82 Collector's Edition. We've previously owned a 78 Pace Car and a 79 L48 that we'd had slightly modified. We sold both of those to purchase C4's and our C5 Pace Car. We also have 2 teenage daughters. One of which will start driving next year. One who totalled her car a year ago in November. She does not drive our vettes. She owns her own 2001 truck and pays very high insurance premiums (but she has had several other tickets also). Our 72 gets about 10 miles to the gallon of Premium gas. The 82 gets about 16 to 18 miles to the gallon. The 78 and 79 the mileage on those two ranged in between the 72 and the 82 but closer to what the 72 gets. I agree with the majority here. Get the car you can best afford. The first time I saw the 82, 11 years ago I fell in love with her! She was my first Vette and I still have her. My husband does not still own his first Vette.;)

Which C3 Is The Best Year?

I presently own three C3's. A 1968 with a 454" and 4-speed, a 1971 with a 454" and TH700R4, and a 1982. Whereas the '82 is the most "advanced' of the three my favorite is my '71 as it has blistering power and still gets 20 mpg on the open road (thanks to it's TH700R4 transmission). And as it has a totally stock exhaust system it's the quietest of all three. And as it also has A/C it's a very nice car to drive year round. I recently put an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold on it along with a 750 cfm 3310 Holley so I had to also buy an L88 hood to compensate for the additional height of the intake system. I have always felt the "chrome bumper" 'Vettes are the best ones but they do cost considerably more than the later models.

Chrome Bumpers

My vote is 1972 the last year for crome bumpers. In mint shape this year will be worth big bux in 10 years. just my .02

The last year with chrome bumpers on BOTH ends. The '73's had the chrome bumpers in the rear but not the front because BIG Brother was looking out for us poor souls who continually rear end other cars.

1980 my fav!

Just remember that working on a vette or doing some remodel work is expensive. I learned first thing before I bought my 80' to find something already like you want it. I bought mine completely restored and glad I did. I was able to enjoy it right away. Also find a good "vette" mechanic first. They are a godsend and can keep your car in top shop. Good luck!

Of course RED is the natural color for a vette!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom