Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What is the correct spare tire for a 1970

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
So, I always assumed that the origional spare tire / wheel that came with my car with just another 15X8 rally wheel. According to a couple of people at the Chevy Vette Fest in Chicago. . .it was actually a standard 15X6 Chevy steel wheel that fit disc breaks.

Does anyone know? Confirm / Deny? Anyone know whether it's the small or big bolt pattern? Anyone know what the off-set was?

Thanks,
-Bolisk

Just so I'm on the same page. . .

My spare tire is supposed to be a Steel Rally Wheel 15X8 with the same tire that the other four wheels had (e.g. Firestone WideOval)?

The guy I talked to. . .claimed to be an NCRS dude.

-JR

original tire and wheel

From my 74.

Wha-Ho!! Actual docuemented effort! Thanks so much!!

This all seems to corrilate to the fact that non-of the corvette parts dealers seem to sell anything but Rally wheels. :)

You asked specifically about 1970- there were different size ralley wheels in other years. '67 had 6" wheels, '68 had 7", later than that were all 8".

Some later years also had a 'space saver' spare that was a completely different configuration than the regular road wheels.

Note that the tire shown in the '74 pic above is very different from what was delivered on your '70.

...My spare tire is supposed to be a Steel Rally Wheel 15X8 with the same tire that the other four wheels had (e.g. Firestone WideOval)?...

Correct.

The exception was the optional aluminum wheels when they became available; only four of those per car. The space saver spares began in '78.

:)

Oh well. I know the 15" rally is the correct spare tire. . .but a buddy of mine had an old 15" chevy wheel and tire. . .and gave it to me for free. So I guess I will use that one until something better comes along.

Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom