Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is this 86 Worth??

OldCorvetteFan

Corvette
Black 95 6 spd Coupe (Sold); 2011 GS
I'm looking at an 86 C4 coupe with just under 20,000 miles. Everything looks very good, including the Carfax report.

It includes most options, except for the glass top and power passenger seat.

I would appreciate some ball park estimates or ranges for a reasonable price for this car. Shoot, I'd be happy with something like "... no more than $10k" or "...between $11k and $13k".

Also, what is considered truly low mileage for an 86? Less than 75k, less than 50k, or something else?

I appreciate your feedback in advance!

Steven

Real Tough question!!!!!!!!!!

In the last issue of "Magazine Corvette" they did a story on all of the corvettes and gave their opinion on the worth of each.

The 84 and the 85 really have no collector value unless they were garage queens period. The 86 is more interesting but the minute you start piling up miles the value will drop fast. If is is a manual the value will drop like a brick because of all the problems that they had. Did l mention the digital dash problems!

At auction the early C4's are rare and maybe a vert in minto condition will show up. This is a specialized area.

Now to me any vette has a special value and l do not agree with the pro's. For me there isn't a car out there for the same price that will bring a smile to your face at the same price.

If you are going to use it as a weekend car then l would be willing to pay a little more.

Before l talk price a low mileage car is year specific and as far as saying that the average mileage is 15,000 per year think again. This is for used car people trying to sell a high mileage car.

Under 20,000 miles for an 86 is low mileage and say's he drives it on weekends only if that often.

You didn't mention the color combo's and the solid top is better then the plexy top for sure. The summer sun would would bake you, believe me l know, l have the plexy top and had to put a shade on it.

As far as the passenger seat not being electric who cares as long as yours is.

The vette is really worth no more then $7000 but when you factor in the low miles l would add another $2500. If the tires are the originals which they should be l would add nothing but if it has new tires l would add another $400. If it is in really minto condition which it should be and the interior is also in minto condition l would add another $750 because the orig $7000 was taking in account that it was in minto condition because of the mileage.

Check the wear on the drivers seat bolster that is nearest the door. If you see wear question it because this tell you how often he got into and out of the car. Check the brake pedals also for wear, if you see wear pass on the car because something is wrong.

Is he the orig owner and still have it checked out to be sure.

Bottom line is that you would have to love it at that price.

For $12/13,000 you could get a minto vert from 88/89 with under 50,000 miles.

Good luck

Alan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom