Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is this button for?

M

Mrs. LMC

Well, I tried to send a pic of the console and I'm not having any luck. So I'll try to describe where it is.
Right behind the gear shift is a row of push buttons. The outside buttons on the console, are for power windows and the thrid button is for the power mirrors. Does anyone know what in the world the second button is used for? It has a worn picture on the button that resembles a clock with hands. I hope this info helps you help me! Thanks everyone!:w

There should only be three buttons... left and right widows, and right next to the right window button, just to the left of it, is the power window switch. Anything else is aftermarket

I'm betting it's the heated-mirror switch. Convertibles had a heated-mirror-only option, while coupes had heated mirrors along with the rear defroster that both turned on with the same switch (converts still had plastic rear windows, I think). This makes sense because of the location and the clock hands - it's a timer, most likely.

Look for the build sticker (I think it's under the center console) and see if you have option code DL8.

[RICHR]

I had a convertible, and it the button for the rear defrost on the A/C unit was for the mirrors instead (and had a little picture of a mirror on it instead of the square glass pic)

Hm. Ok, then... guess not. Maybe se has an 89 instead of an 88 and it's the selective ride switch? My Corvette Central catalog has pix of cars with this extra switch, but in the section where they sell the replacements they don't have one listed.
[RICHR]

not sure... a clock picture doesn't make too much sense though... maybe a timer for the fans, to keep them running after the car is off? or maybe even a timed engine shut off? it could even be a switch for a previously installed component, including nitros, or a stereo sub... even the antenna could have been set up on a switch

Mrs. LMC, I don't know about your 88 vert, but

I have purchased furniture at Chandler's in Okolona!

In your message, just go down to "Attach file:", then browse on your computer until you locate the file, then click on open. It should add the photo...

Is Mr. Chandler still around? He was old the last time I saw him ten years ago!

Is this a new Corvette for you?

Ok on my 88 ( console switches )

You have the 2 window switches

Between the two ( slightly off center twds right)

Is the rocker switch for what mirror you are adjusting.

In the tray

FWD switch is the mirror control.

To the left are the 3 switches for power seat adjustment.

AND if you have dual power seats you will have a mirror set on the right of the tray.

So If I understand YOU correctly...

You have a 4th switch on the top of the console between the drivers side window switch & the mirror selector... right?

Which I have NEVER seen before..... does it look factory?

Now I have seen the FX-3 retro fit which is for the adjustible shocks but that is a 3 position rotaty switch .

Would need a pix to give you a better gut hunch on it's function.

Vig!

Look on page 38 of the current C4 catalog from Corvette Central. It's the section with the custom dash kits. The pic in the middle, 84-89 Burlwood, has the four switches (two window, one mirror, one something else). If this is an aftermarket add-on, then this car has it too and the wood dash upgrade kit does as well. Odd, huh? That car is the only one in that catalog that appears to have that switch.
[RICHR]

Duh, is this the overdrive button of which we might be speaking? It used to be on the console before it was moved to the shifter knob.

_ken :w

She's describing a rocker switch. I think. Also, didn't overdrive move to the shifter in 86, two years before her Vette?

[EDIT]

Ok, yes, the overdrive switch was a rocker switch. Brain fart. However, it did go away before her model. I found a picture in the Mid America catalog of the center console with overdrive switch (clearly marked OVERDRIVE) and it's a black rocker switch with one white circle and one filled white circle. No red... so it sounds like someone bought an earlier center console plate for whatever they added - makes for a clean installation if nothing else.

I'm picturing these neon green lights under the car - she's flipped the switch and saw nothing... in the daytime :).

[RICHR]

Yeah, but if somebody's been changing things around, well... ;)

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom