Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what is this thing?

B

bill mcdonald

I see this little black box on a lot of Callaways, I finally decided to ask, what is it?

in this pic it is sitting over the front shock tower. looks like it might have some machined fins on the top, and a couple of hoses going onto it.
20.jpg

The box!

It's the air/oil seperator. I've seen mention of it in my Callaway owners manual. From memory I think it removes air from the oil lines (to the turbos). I'm not anywhere near my manual at the moment so I can't check. Maybe someone else will offer an explanation?

On my car it's mounted on the wonderbar (cross member). The pic you've attached is on the 580 bhp monster on sale near me and there are a LOT of differences on that car.

P.S. I've emailed the guy selling the car to ask if I can go and see it. He hasn't come back to me yet. Maybe I should have said I want to buy it, I bet he'd get back quick then!

Regards, Malc.

Interestingly enough, that intercooler setup I have seen in a drawing for a SuperSpeedster which doesn't seem like it was ever built. The Sledgehammer intercoolers were also front mounted but didn't have the low pressure intakes in the hood.

Luigi

BTW, I too have heard that it was an air/oil seperator

Actually those holes are the intercooler exhaust ports, Luigi. The intercoolers are front mounted for a ram air effect, the air exits the hood to keep aerodynamics in check.

Josh is correct. That is what is known as an "air extractor" hood. The intercoolers get air rammed in from the nose and it exits out the hood and over the car. Look at a Shelby Series 1 to see a more radical air extractor hood. A lot of race cars use this to relieve air pressure from under the hood as well as it's a great way to cool radiators (or intercoolers).

A Super Speedster was built with that intercooler setup. I know of at least four cars that have it. There is the "Cherry Smash Super Speedster" with a TT LT5, a ZR1 Twin Turbo (Aqua), a red ZR1 which I'm not sure is a TT (I have a pic) and this black car.

I think the air/oil seperator is part of the pump system that scavenges oil from the sump for the turbos. This is all necessary because the turbos sit lower in the car than the oil pan so the oil from the turbos must be pumped back to the pan.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom