Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is Your Idea of the Ultimate Garage?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
I recently purchased the following book from Barnes and Noble:

Garage: Reinventing the Place We Park

So far, this book has been awesome. From Amazon.com:

Book Description
Anyone who thinks the garage is simply a place to park the car will never think that way again after a look at this book. Garage takes a look at the last, undiscovered frontier of home design... the most versatile room not in the house. The book explores many uses for this ubiquitous space--from studio, library, and museum, to soundstage, playroom, and greenhouse. Garage takes this space seriously, after all. This book includes more than 200 color photographs of over 50 garages, shows how to create a garage "room" that meets one's needs for efficiency and style, and provides options for using existing space and floor plans for new structures.

I thought I'd share an interesting paragraph on the concepts of a garage from page 28-29:

What Do We Do in the Garage?

The garage is a stage, complete with a mechanical curtain, and it rises on any number of scenes, all of which are directed by the passions, dreams and interests of the people who choose to occupy it. When it's closed, the garage remains an enigma--sometimes stylish, certainly, but also blank. With the door open, the garage gives us a glimpse of somethign that is essential to the American way of life. And that boils down to basically any activity that doesn't belong in the house.

The garage is another world down the driveway, and we go there to work, to play, sometimes to live, and almost always to park. The garage is the domain of the tinkerer, an office for the inventor, a stage for the musician, a potting shed for the gardener, a control center for the fledgling business, a display case for the car collector, and the perfect home office that comes sans commute.

:D

5t.jpg

Rob, I am pleased w/ the one I have however, it is far from "ultimate" :) It is rather neat and from a Homeowners Assn. standpoint, I was a bit surprised it was approved (but once installed, blends well :) )

I wouldn't mind thumbing through that book - Wanna sawp when you ret. cor vet specs?? Thanks - *89x2*

Kira's book is about the best one out there on the subject of garages. Now that spring is here, I'm trying to wrap up my own garage. The carpenters have started the final trim today and the electricians are working on the landscape and soffit lighting. There's a half dozen or so cameras in the soffits (you can see the yellow RG6 and white Cat5E) and garage bays to keep an eye on things.
trim-303a.jpg

Here's the patio outside the garage workshop..

trim-303b.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom