Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What makes you choose the Corvette as your car of choice.

I currently own a 1986 Mustang SVO that I have had for about ten years. This is the longest I have ever owned a sports car. It is a lot of fun to drive if you have ever driven one. In order to make the Corvette move, the SVO would have to go. We had an 89 back in 89, but my father sold it and did not keep it too long, but I loved it.

I'm probably not the right guy to ask... but my advice is sell that Mustang and buy a Corvette! :v

How about an LT4??? When all factors are considered, imo it's the best motor available for the C4 and prices for '96's have never been better!

The thoughts below are what are tormenting me,

First if I sell the SVO (which has been very good to me money wise for the ten years I have had it. I just had to do a head gasket recently but over the car has always started right up for me and ran well) and I get a Corvette that ends up being a lot in costs, I will be mad at myself. I have been trying to find real nice ones that were taken care of. I am currently looking at an 89 with 30K on it. The owner wants $9500 for it.

I am also getting hits from people who want to sell later years like a 95 for around $10,500 with higher mileage. It would only be a weekend car if that.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable deal, although I'm not personally familiar with the '89's. For me, for that price, I'd want to be certain that it's mechanically sound.

It is a BUYER'S market right now for all Vettes and especially the C4. I did a quick check on craigslist in your area and the general impression I got is that Vette prices are a little higher there than they are around here (SF bay area.) So while it might be a bit harder to find a good one, I hope that if you look around, maybe you can find a late model C4 (a '92 or later) with relatively low miles that has been well cared for, at around your target price. :beer

So all of these areas are bothering me, but I know I would love a Vette providing it did not become a nightmare.

Thanks for hearing my thoughts, I know I should probably see a shrink about my thoughts and the back and forth but he probably does not own a Corvette.

My $0.02 is to get a Vette. But like I said, I'm probably not the right guy to ask. I've been in love with Corvettes since I was a kid. My Uncle had a silver '68 roadster and I loved riding around in it with him. Even as a kid, back then I could tell that no other cars drive the way a Vette does. When it was time for me to drive, I learned to drive a stick on that '68 and found out for myself about Corvettes. :pat

Now I have my own silver Vette and I love it! I just wish my Uncle were still around so we could go for a ride together. His was a 327 4 speed, so I suspect he'd approve of the 350 6 speed. I know he would approve of the color, that's for sure! :Steer

I guess I didn't fully understand what you were after when you asked why we have a corvette. The Route 66 program was what got me interested. The fact that it was a Chevy was a big factor, Chevys were always solid cars and fairly easy to work on.I had a ride in a few C3s and really got hooked on the complete package. When the 84 came out I was really hooked. I wasn't able to afford a play car until 7 yrs ago,thats when I started looking.
I ended up buying a 1990 Convertible with ZF six speed. If you want a stick go late enough to get the six speed.
My 90 had 69 K on it when I got it and haven't had any real major problems. I did have to replace the clutch. A job that was done previously and not done right. I replaced the injectors with some Bosh III from Fuel Injector Connection . The OEM injectors are a bit suspect with age on them. The Corvette itself is a great handling good running settup. The gas mileage for a sports car with a V8 is astounding.The newer, lowest mileage,with service records, that you can afford is the way to go. Any car can have some problems,that part of it is a crap shoot.
Even with the issues I have had I don't ever want to be without a corvette again. Once you own one it develops into a love affair that most find no way out of.
I have put 40k on it in 6 summers and for the miles on the car I can't complain about repairs. I actually would like to get another for my wife to drive, if that tells you anything.
Hope my rambling helps you.

Glenn
:w

I am a CAR GUY and a GM fanatic.

Unlike many other brands Corvette attracts "car guys" who love the car for what it is.
FAST / EXCELLENT VALUE / FUN TO OWN AND DRIVE

not necessarily for what any one else may think about it.

There is no prestige automatically attached to owning a Corvette unlike many other brands that are often (not always) purchased by people (WANNABE'S) who've never had grease under their fingernails.:eyerole
Corvette owners first of all love cars.

I can say the same, I can appreciate any car for what it is, I like a lot of other cars other than Corvettes, but everybody has a favorite and mine just happens to be Corvette.

Sold my Mustang GT Convertible and bought a Corvette. Don't be afraid.

In 2009 I finally made the decision to buy a Corvette. I knew I wanted a 1996 LT4. The 1996 Grand Sport Coupe would have been my first choice, but with two kids in college that kind of money doesn't exist. I had other cars lingering in my life as well. A very nice 1994 Caprice LT1, and a low mileage red 1997 Firebird, which I thought was the closest I would ever get to a Corvette.

In 1995 when we originally purchased the 90 Mustang I wanted a Corvette. At the time our kids were small and we decided on a fun four seater instead.

The Mustang was still mint when I sold in 2009 with only 12,000 miles on it. I got a fair price for it. In 2009 the Firebird and Caprice went as well, even though I never thought I would part with that Caprice. It was gorgeous, big, and fast.

I bought a Low Mileage Red 1996 LT4 with some of the cash that was freed up. The car was reasonably priced and basically traded the Mustang in terms of dollars for the Corvette plus maybe $2K.

The Corvette obviously does everything better than the Mustang, but what really surprised me was the overall ease of driving the car. The other surprise was the ride is much smoother than the Mustang. My car has the base suspension and on any day the Corvette would out-corner the Mustang even with the base suspension.

Don't be afraid to part with your Mustang for a Corvette. If you are fond of your car as I was, take lot's of pictures, video too. It will be a good rememberence. Good Luck.

Thanks guys again. It is great insight.

Let me throw something else at you. Before I came across this 89 I was talking about, I originally came across an 89 convertible (which is what I was looking for) that had a 406, 6 speed in it. I went up and saw it and it was very clean, The owner was looking for close to $13,000 as opposed to the targa top owner, he wanted $9500. Both guys were older and felt if they could not get those numbers they would rather keep them. When I had thought about making a move originally, I wanted something that was going to have more power then the stock L98 and I thought I had found it in the 406. The guy is a straight shooter. I would not have the money to invest in a stock motor if I purchased the $9500 one.

These are the remaining questions I have,

First, how can I tell if it is truly a 406 and not a 350 with a different intake on it? It has an Arizona Speed and Marine intake on it. Would you take a chance on something like this assuming all of the parts of the picture seem legit? He has had it for about five years and wants to move on to another project. He was a mechanic when he worked. He bought the car already modified and does not have any paper work on the build.

Second is, I may have to take a loan own to make this transaction happen. Can you rationalize taking a loan out on a car so old. My issue is I love the feel of the 89 (and because we had one). I want the power of the later Vettes and I thought this may be a nice set up.

Thanks again.

Decision is made.

Hopefully I should have it by Sunday and I did not take out a loan.

When I bought my first Vette back in 1991, I shopped other sports cars. I starting looking around in 1990 but Gulf War got in my way a bit.

I test drove Porsches, 3000GT VR4, 300Z, etc.
I was pretty much set on owning an American car, as in the Corvette, but I had to test drive as many other cars as I could since whatever I bought would be my first sports car. (I was a muscle car guy at the time with a Buick GN.)

I kept coming back to the Vette because of the 'feel' of the car. The torque, the handling, the braking, the acceleration and the price.

When I got back from GWI, the 1992 Corvette was just around the corner and I read that it was getting a more powerful motor. I placed my order for my 1992 Vette in May of 1991 and took delivery Oct 1991. Haven't looked back. Now our 6th and 7th Vettes are in the garage.

Choices...

Styling...unlimited potential for performance, and all without compromising handling.

Attachments

• n1470660332_118719_5540.jpg
    n1470660332_118719_5540.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 73
Choices....

I always have loved the styling of the C3 since I was a kid which was the start of my love for the Corvette. I never thought I would be able to own one until 2007, when my wife with her love and support, provided me with the ability to purchase my 1996 LT1 C4. :upthumbs

Sounds like you have a fun Sunday in store... CONGRATULATIONS! :beer

Which one did you get? Curious Vette owners really want to know!!! :thumb

I am going with the 406 because it is a vert and the motor should be strong. I am not 100 percent on some of the other things, but I think I can get used to them. I have to say I hate to see the SVO go, it has been the best car I have had and I have had them all.

I wanted a Vett for many years but family and bills and other hobbies never could get one until last year.

I wanted a C5 at first but at the time could not afford one.
But as most of us after putting the Vett back together and all the time and money I have in my C4 I could got a C5 but I like My C4 I never planning to sell my C4.

I will be pass down to my Daugther one day but for now It all mine.

The very cool thing about the C4 it still has the old school Hot Rod feel to it the C5 is more refined preppy feel to it.

The C4 has lot of the more modern stuf in the car as A/C better brakes Injected ECT thats why I got a C4 over a C3 but If I did find a C2 Big Block before This C4 I would gotten a C2.

Always wanted a corvette. Two years ago my wife told me a friend of hers had a 79 T-Top for sale 8K, Dark Blue. Went to look at it and bought it on the spot. My First and only vette. Best thing that happened to me besides wife, 3kids, 8grand kids and retirement in 09. :)

Got it yesterday.

It is an absolute monster with the 406.

Attachments

• CORVETTE1.jpg
    CORVETTE1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 91
I like it! Very unique paint scheme.

When I first saw the paint (and the wheels) for the first time in the ad I was not thrilled with it. When I went up to see it, I left thinking it was not too bad. When it came in on the trailer it looked great. Now when I go out and I look at it I really like it.

When I first saw the paint (and the wheels) for the first time in the ad I was not thrilled with it. When I went up to see it, I left thinking it was not too bad. When it came in on the trailer it looked great. Now when I go out and I look at it I really like it.

Now that you've had it for a few days, how would you compare it to the SVO?

I'm pretty sure I know how I would answer... ;)
:v :v :v

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom