Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what octane level 84 Corvette???

shorkey

Corvette
Hi.
I did a lot os searching before posting but did not find the info Im after. What is the recommended fuel for an 1984 Corvette. I mean what i the recommended octane level. Ive been filling her with super but am wondering if paying extra for the super gas is really worth it. Does an 84 Corvette run well on 87 octane fuel? I just switched to a speed demon carb setup with vaccum advance distributor and a performer rpm intake manifold from Edelbrock. Thanks in advance.
Chris

i gotta say your best bet is trial and error.... try a couple tanks of 87 octane..if its not pinging and knocking going up hills and what not then why spend the extra $$... i have been running 87 through my 82 and i dont get any different results......also check your gas mileage

some will say its a sin to run 87 octane through a vette.... but i think its a bigger sin to waste money!

I run mid-grade 89 octane in my 84 CFI with no pinging or noticable loss of power
I never put regular 87 in her though

89 is fine. The later models require premium though. It even says it on the fuel boot when you lift the door up. Some say you loose power when you use 93 but I don't believe it. I use premium because it has detergents in it. 20 cents won't make much of a difference to me so why not go all out. It is a Corvette after all and deserves the best!:beer

89 is fine. The later models require premium though. It even says it on the fuel boot when you lift the door up. Some say you loose power when you use 93 but I don't believe it. I use premium because it has detergents in it. 20 cents won't make much of a difference to me so why not go all out. It is a Corvette after all and deserves the best!:beer

ive run all 3 through mine.... and didnt notice any difference BUT i do put mid grade in and give it a little treat once in a while with a tank of premium!

ive run all 3 through mine.... and didnt notice any difference BUT i do put mid grade in and give it a little treat once in a while with a tank of premium!

It seems thats starting to become popular with octane booster...If I do go midgrade, I will pass on octane booster regardless.

The L83 engine is spec'd to use 87 octane.
But that is with the crossfire injection system intact.
Since you have removed the crossfire system, the spark retard via the knock sensor no longer stops you from pre-detonating.
I would try a mid-grade fuel and adjust your timing as neccessary to prevent pinging.

87 is all you will need with that low compression. Run it in mine and re-cammed it to a OEM 151 cam. runs great

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom