Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What Percent or Number of 73-79 Corvettes Are Still on the Road

krscholz

Corvette
75 Corvette Coupe, 383 Stroker
C3 Corvettes 73-79 Still on the Road?

I know that between the time period 1973-1979 there were 304,926 Corvettes produced. Do any of you have an idea of what percent or number are still driving around today, or know where to get this information?

Last edited:
...Do any of you have an idea of what percent or number are still driving around today, or know where to get this information?...

How would anyone be able to determine the exact whereabouts of 300K+ C3s?
:thumb

Last edited:
I would guess that you would have to access motor vehicle records, which I doubt you could due to privacy concerns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it is possible to determine a read close figure for the number still on the road. That said, some educated guesses can be made. First, back in the 70's cars didn't last all that long, say, maybe 10 years or less. Second, you would need to allow for the fact that folks that had Vettes probably kept them longer say another 5 years. And, then, they passed to people willing to work to keep them on the road, maybe add another 5 years. However, and third, Vettes suffer badly in accidents and are expensive to fix so they meet an early end. Add that to the fact that Vette drivers usually are not little old ladies and many push the pedal leading to accidents. So take maybe take 8 years off the longevity. Time takes its toll and frames rust, fiberglass cracks, engines die and when they sit outside unused for years they deteriorate. Take another 5 years off. Fourth, lots of people love Vettes and they try to keep and preserve them, add 5 years. You can do the actual math extimates. Within 10 miles of my house I know of 6 that are just about beyond saving without spending many thousands. They won't see the road again. Plus, I know of 5 more within 40 miles that are pretty much dead. I would guess that of the 305,000 you mentioned less than 10,000 survive.

BTW, there is a Corvette registry which might give some indication of the number left. Of course, many do not register their vehicles so the data is questionable.

The Corvette Registry only lists vehicles which have been entered into the Registry data base by their owners. Participation is completely voluntary and none of the informaton is actually verified. It is an interesting site, but the available information is completely unconfirmed.

The Corvette Registry only lists vehicles which have been entered into the Registry data base by their owners. Participation is completely voluntary and none of the informaton is actually verified. It is an interesting site, but the available information is completely unconfirmed.

+1, and it's only one of several competing registries each of which is trying to be the 'real' registry.

So take a stab at how many you think are still being driven. I think it is reasonable to say there are around 30,000 maybe less. Am I way off?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom