Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What purpose the "frisbee" on H20 pump

P

puppyfang

What is the purpose of the disk on my 89 vet water pump...looks like as my buddy called it a big frisbee, does it have to be there or not? ;shrug

It's an additional balancer. It doesn't have to be there, in fact its one of the first mods many do. Removing it frees up a little HP. The engine doesn't have to work to spin that hunk of metal.

:w
:pat

Starting in 1988, GM used an "improved" A/C compressor. The disk was added to smooth out compressor on/off cycling. When I owned a 1988, I removed it, and found no performance improvement. It did seem like the A/C cycling was not as smooth with it removed. The disk is heavy. It is easy enough to remove and reinstall.

Starting in 1988, GM used an "improved" A/C compressor. The disk was added to smooth out compressor on/off cycling. When I owned a 1988, I removed it, and found no performance improvement. It did seem like the A/C cycling was not as smooth with it removed. The disk is heavy. It is easy enough to remove and reinstall.

i think it was added to eliminate what gm anticipated as teh belt slapping around when the a/c cycled "on"...i have an 88 and removed it also.......where in buffalo are you as i am from there?

i think it was added to eliminate what gm anticipated as teh belt slapping around when the a/c cycled "on"...i have an 88 and removed it also.......where in buffalo are you as i am from there?

Amherst. (East of Buffalo)

excellent!...town of tonawanda across the street from st. joes.
I just happen to be in North Tonawanda this past weekend looking at a 1987 Z51 with 68,000 miles. I'm finding that C4s are selling way under their real values. So I'm out hunting for a 87-89. I really like the L98 engine for a daily driver.

well, now that we know what maybe the "frisbee" does or does not do...should we remove it...seem to me and my mechanic that it is a lot of weight on the H20 pump??????

so to all of you who removed it... why did you remove it if there is no benifit? does it balence the waterpump so as to not prematurely wear out the bearings? any adverse effects?

I don't think you understand. There are no benefits leaving it on, however there are benefits to taking it off. opens up the area infront of the water pump, although mimimal it removes weight, and my reason was since I took it off to do other work, why waste the time and energy in putting it back on.

After all of your discussions and per my mechanic...the disk goes this weekend, not needed and l;ike you said better air flow and weight off of water pump...thanks

Mine is going,..going,...gone!!! thx fer the info!!!
:beer

Just removed mine on my 89. Weighed it and it was 3.6 pounds

I would think it would put extra stress on the water pump bearings.

Yes and more mass to move. Removing air pump this weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom