Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What safety/security equipment do you...

67HEAVEN said:
Here's an interesting question. Suppose you have a breakdown along the Interstate that you know could be fixed by a competent shop.

How would you determine where that competent shop is when you're from out of state?

Since you're alongside the highway, at night, waiting for the rollback, and you can't get to a computer to login to CAC to ask for suggestions, where would you tell the driver that you want the car to go?

The nearest Holiday Inn in the direction of home. I don't believe you can or want to make that choice from the cab of a rollback. Have him put it in a place you can see it from your room. The hotel staff can help you with transportation to get parts or go find a shop you like the looks of, etc.

Since this is a C2 forum, I would question how many parts you could get off the shelf to fix it. I still think truck rental and getting her home is the answer. And if you start buy parts that "just fit" - distributor with no tach drive for example, you're on your way to covering the truck rental fees.

Here's to never breaking down on the road:beer

That said, I would be in favoar of as many of us as can, try to contact shops and explain that we are trying to put together an emergency list and could we list their names. Don't know if we could or should publish it, but perhaps through the moderators or some volunteers we could work out a more private way of doing it by region

Halotron

I have always had a fire extinguisher in my 1967. And thank goodness I have never had to use it. But it was a dry chemical (sodium bicarbonate) type that I have learned from many posts will kill the fire but is extremely corrosive and will do damage to metal surfaces and electrical wiring. So I ordered a Halotron 2.5lb equivalent. It arrived today and is now installed. The dry chemical unit has found a place on my garage wall and has not been wasted. While I hope a fire never occurs under the hood, I feel a little better that if that does happen, the cure is not more harmful than the disease.

halotron003.jpg

paul67 said:
I have always had a fire extinguisher in my 1967. And thank goodness I have never had to use it. But it was a dry chemical (sodium bicarbonate) type that I have learned from many posts will kill the fire but is extremely corrosive and will do damage to metal surfaces and electrical wiring. So I ordered a Halotron 2.5lb equivalent. It arrived today and is now installed. The dry chemical unit has found a place on my garage wall and has not been wasted. While I hope a fire never occurs under the hood, I feel a little better that if that does happen, the cure is not more harmful than the disease.

halotron003.jpg

I see you have mounted it where I thought I would too but I had second thoughts about someone kicking it and setting it off. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I just had it lying in the back this past season. I think I will try to mount it on the lip behind the seats in the middle. Thought it might be a little more accessible there on both sides from the outside. Just have to be careful I don't cover it up with things loaded in the back.

As far other types of extinguishers, I have retired them all to the house. I bought a couple more halon ones and scattered them around the garage. I'm Being paranoid again, but I figure with my luck the only extinguisher available will be dry powder!

Here's to hoping we never need them :beer .......................Griz

There shouldn't be a problem with it getting loose as there are two straps holding it on and the discharge pin prevents an "accident." The mounting bracket with straps is held down by the two front seat bolts. Pretty secure. And better yet, the Wife never complains about access or leg room.

Reference:

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/catalog/

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom