Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What should I do with these?

Brutus

Corvette
1977 Yellow Coupe
What should I do with these?...pics

As can be seen I've almost finished preparing one of these assemblies ready for.....what?
Chrome plating....Powder coating...Painting.
What do you suggest?

brutus0001.jpg
brutus0002.jpg

brutus0003.jpg

Last edited by 71Shark on 02-08-02 at 09:20 PM

Zinc plate with cromate conversion and then powder coat. That way any paint loss will not rust and you'll get some bore protection. The prep looks great but I'm not a chrome fan.

:upthumbs

In all honesty Brutus, you can hardly see them once they are installed, so I would suggest good quality spray paint. That is how I did mine. First using a good metal etching primer, then builders cast grey, chased by clear paint. They turned out very nice that way and very inexpensive.

If no one else will take the bait, I bite. Ok Bob, you wanna know what you can do with 'em? Stuff 'em mate!! :L

_ken :w

Unfortunately I'm having to lean away from chroming them due to the effect the chroming process could have on the structural integrity of the cast metal.
I appreciate the painting tip Chris, but aside from wanting to show my car I also drive it as much as possible. Well my wife does most of the driving....I'm just the silly mug who does all the work on it so she can parade around the beach in it. :eyerole
I realise how little of this particular piece will be noticable, but while I've got it all apart I want to detail as much of everything as possible. It's an addiction I just can't control. That being said I'm trying to avoid paint as much as possible due to the obvious chips that will eventuate.
Ken...I knew that sooner or later there'd be someone who'd come up with the most obvious reply. Why did I know it'd be you mate? I'm just glad to see you didn't let the side down. :upthumbs
To be honest tho I thought it'd be a close call between you and a certain little garden gnome from Florida.

If you chrome

It MIGHT change the fit of the bearings, after all you are adding metal. after your done make sure you mic the inner areas where the races go. Instead of a nice worn out silght press ( almost slip fit ) it might be a PRESS WITH TONS OF FORCE.

Just a thought.

Mike

Powder coat is my vote . . . geez, I'm begining to sound like Jesse Jackson . . .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom