Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What should I know before pulling rear calipers?

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
Recently, I learned the wife drove our '01 coupe for a few days with the Emergency Brake on! Now, I'd like to take off the rear calipers and do some inspecting. Is there anything I should know about dismantling rear calipers on a C5, or is it no different than most other cars? Thanks for any help!

The parking brake is not part of your rear calipers, don't dismantle them. Remove the rear calipers and brackets and remove your rear rotors. The parking brakes shoes are inside the rotors. Make sure you don't loose the park brake shoe retainer when you remove the rotors.

LLC5 said:
The parking brake is not part of your rear calipers, don't dismantle them. Remove the rear calipers and brackets and remove your rear rotors.
Yep, and one more tip... you will need a serious breaker bar to remove the rear caliper bracket - it is torqued to 125 ft-lbs! If you remove the calipers from the bracket (not necessary), be sure to blue Loctite them before replacing.

Here is an excellent write-up on adjusting the P-brake:
http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/viewsubtopic.php?SubTopicID=158&TopicID=1

Hi BulletTime -

Here is some info - it is really easy - no different than any other rear wheel disc that I have done.

http://www.iammoon.com/c5tech/caliper_painting.htm

I was able to remove the emergency brake cables just by hand - make sure it is in the released postition...

Good luck!

best regards -

mqqn

BulletTime said:
Recently, I learned the wife drove our '01 coupe for a few days with the Emergency Brake on!

Okay, I have a dumb question. When the Emergency Brake is on, there's a red light on the dash cluster indicating it's on. It comes on the moment one starts the car, just at the fasten seat belt icon comes on if you haven't buckled up.

BulletTime, how did your wife miss noticing that light?

:confused

-Patrick

Hi Bullet Time -

You will have to remove the caliper maounting brackets - on my caliper-painting page we did not have to do that.

Those bolts are on with 160ft-lbs (double check that but they are tight!)

I used a craftsman 1/2 breaker bar and a good 6 point socket to bust them loose. That is the only real tough part.

Some have trouble removing the rotor, but unless the emergency brake is damaged, the rotor should come off with a little persuasion.

best regards -

mqqn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom