Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What the Devil's going on? Corvette team said to be working on Ford GT fighter

JBsC5

What the Devil's going on? Corvette team said to be working on Ford GT fighter

By BOB GRITZINGER

THE 2005 C6 CORVETTE hasn’t even been officially introduced, but the Corvette development team is already hard at work on future, high-performance variants, including a wild 600-plus horsepower Ford GT-fighter known internally as “Blue Devil.”

While chief engineer Dave Hill has publicly announced the Z06 version of the next-gen Vette due in 2005 will have 500 hp, his engine team wasn’t sure until recently that they could actually achieve that impressive figure. Sources now say that it will be a case of “nothing beats cubic inches” with 95 extra horses (compared to today’s 405-hp Z06) coming as a result of boring and stroking the next-gen Chevy small-block V8 to 427 cubic inches—7.0 liters. Not since the late-1960s has that magic number of cubes been under a Corvette’s composite hood (though there were some 454s along the way).

More important, Chevy is clearly investigating an ultra-performance Corvette designed to do battle with—and conquer—the mid-engined GT from rival Ford, as well as many supercars from across the pond. Called Blue Devil (no one knows why it has that name—could it be Chevy hopes to bedevil Ford’s blue oval?), unofficial stats make the name seem appropriate. Reportedly producing 625 hp, Blue Devil’s initial power will come from a supercharged 427 engine—and it will use lightweight carbon fiber for key body parts, reducing weight by several hundred pounds to drop the super C6 to about 2900 pounds.

The price indicated on the internal documents is $100,000 for Blue Devil, if and when it actually makes production in 2006—at the earliest. We wonder whether the Devil’s chances of seeing light are further improved following product czar Bob Lutz’s comments that he’d like to see a Chevy-badged car like the 2002 Cadillac Cien concept.

General Motors officials aren’t connecting the dots and saying this is a “go,” but the high-performance heart of Blue Devil is the kind of specialized, high-content engine project envisioned for the General’s new Performance Build Center set to open shop next year in Wixom, Michigan. The center is intended to attack projects with “a sort of race team mentality,” says Ed Koerner, vice president of GM Powertrain engineering operations.

Patterned after low-volume race shops, the center could build up to 10,000 powerplants per year for very specific, high-end, high-performance GM vehicles. Koerner says engines from the shop should appear in showroom vehicles by 2005.

bTw..this is from Autoweek and was brought to my attention by someone at crossedflags.com

Cool link..with great information.

Thought I'd share it with you guys as well.

What do you think?

Which corvette would you buy?

The coupe/convertible/z06 or monster vette?

I don't know how everyone will take this but to me; that's just saying that the next generation Z06 won't be that competitive of a car. Not that it should be, being that the Ford GT is a $140,000 car.

The comparisons are like apples and oranges. The Ford GT already has the advantage of using a supercharger. I mean, if they would throw superchargers in the current C5's (ala Lingenfelter), that GT wouldn't be so intimidating. I don't have the money, but I would have a very difficult time throwing down $140,000 for a car that has a blue oval on the front.:L

70 grand Z06 is a guess but the 500hp @ under 3,000 lbs ..it should kick some serious @ss! Even the blue oval GT..

The 427 should take the Enzo on and show it what american cars can do..for one fifth the price too.

More cash than I'll spend though.

The name "Blue Devil"

I think it will be interesting to have so many choices. However, Corvette would be changing it's appeal as the killer sportscar that the every-man can afford. Not sure exactly how I feel about that.

Perhaps the Blue Devil name is derived from the original Blue Flame six?

Brett

Well, from another ZR1 guy, I am for it, and have been for a long time. I have always thought the ZR1 was an historically important Corvette (and super performer as well) because it was the first Corvette venture into a second, upscale, super car. At least the ZR1 got into production. Think of what the original Grand Sport could have been if the original plan to make it a 125 car limited production car, and if it had been developed over time.

Unfortunately, neither car was supported or developed fully, and despite the heroic efforts of their supporters, never got the attention they deserved. Of course, the bitter sweet nature of these cars's history is what helps the "legend".

The advantage here, if the story is true, is that like the original GS, the technology, at least with respect to the engine, is already well developed at GM. So, if they ever figure out how to deal with such cars at a Chevy dealer, it will be another historic milestone for the Corvette. The creation of a second car, a super car, and to some degree, the vindication of these earlier cars.

I have followed this story for a while, and will be interested to see how it pans out, and what the dealers can do with it.

Congratulations for Corvette! and for GM if they have the courage to do it and follow through!

700 Hp

My contacts clued me in that you will see around 700 HP.

The Twin Turbo seems to be a lot like the Callaway Twin

The car will be a limited run and hard to get your hands on.

Looks like a 100k price tag will be on old blue.

05' 400hp C6 then the 06' 550hpC6/Z06 and finally a Devil of a 700hp Corvette in 2007

A 'SuperVette' sounds good to me - hope the General can produce 'em sooner rather than later.

06Z06

06Z06 [ With 500+ hp.] I hope they they do it! The 150, for the Ford GT would mean selling my vett. :Roll

rick wagoneer is from duke there fore it is called blue devil

Re: The name "Blue Devil"

Brett said:
Perhaps the Blue Devil name is derived from the original Blue Flame six?

My educated guess is that if such a development vehicle exists, it's painted blue.

I think Hib's guess makes sense.

But here is another theory. Either I am dreaming, or I read somewhere that a high ranking GM official who ultimately had to approve funding was a graduate of Duke University, whose nickname is, you guessed it, the "Blue Devils".

Now before I get handed my hat, I'll watch for the article as I browse around, and I'll quote the source if I find it. As I remember, the source was named.

Wonder if I was dreaming????

Regards,

Here it is, from Autoweek:

Quote:

And yes, as many AutoWeek readers have suggested, the Blue Devil name was chosen intentionally to catch the attention of General Motors CEO and Duke University Blue Devil alumnus Rick Wagoner.

EndQuote

what i heard at the dc auto show

when i was talking to a woman who was awnsering questions about the cien (which was beautiful) i asked will they build it she said no, then i said they have to build something like it and she said well
they are working on something called the blue devil corvette which will have similar specs and i said ohh didnt they build a new plant to build there engines and she shook her head and said YES

PS- the show was alot!!! better this year,ALOT

I see an aquaintance at lunch every now and then. He too owns a C5. Anyway, this past summer he tells me he's seen the GM specs for a future 625 hp twin turbo corvette engine that he thinks is going in the new z06.....he does business at the GM Proving Grounds, so he does have some credibility. I told him at the time I highly doubted it was for the z, but more likely for a ZR1 type vette. Sounds like it could be this Blue Devil engine.

I'll frequent the restaurant I've seen him at.....near the proving grounds....and see if he's got any new news.

Brett

Hey good, you know someone on the inside i hope you two become very good friends, from what you have said and what
I heard from the cadillac woman I think the blue devil is going to be on hell of a vette.

To evryone who has said use grammer are you happy now.

when i was talking to a lady who was awnsering questions about the cien (which was beautiful) i asked will they build it she said no, then i said they have to build something like it and she said well
they are working on something called the blue devil corvette which will have similar specs and i said ohh didnt they build a new plant to build there engines and she shook her head and said YES they are building it

ill i know is there building it and that aint not bad :gap

ArtZR1991 said:
Here it is, from Autoweek:

And yes, as many AutoWeek readers have suggested, the Blue Devil name was chosen intentionally to catch the attention of General Motors CEO and Duke University Blue Devil alumnus Rick Wagoner.

AutoWeek readers and other Internet theorists can spin this story all they want but I maintain that, when the true story comes out (if it ever does) it will be that "Blue Devil" was a C6 prototype with a blue paint job.

A development program studying a very powerful, very light weight and very expensive C6 did exist. It is unknown how formal the program was or how much resources were devoted to it. The latest intel I have comes from a source on the "Hard Core Corvettes" mail list who claims that this program has been "shelved" after a disasterous proving ground mishap last year which ended with the car burning to the ground. The source claims this car was, in fact, this "Blue Devil."

My guess is that, at this point, the program is dead or at least in a holding pattern somewhere over Kabul, Afghanistan. I, also agree with this source who claims that what's filtering out in recent weeks as rumors is, in fact, old news.

My fearless forcast remains an 06 or 07 Z06 with atmospheric, 500hp engine.

No disagreement from me, as I have no stake in it. Part of the value in these forums is passing along any information which seems the least creditable, which I did in the case of the Autoweek story. In this case, I don't think I took a stand, except to say I had read it.

So I'm not comefortable about whether "spin" applies to my post. Perhaps I am over-reacting because of the negative context polititions have given the term. But they have coined the term, and it has no other use to my knowledge.

Perhaps another term, and directed at Autoweek, not their readers, would be better.

Edit: on re-reading, the article does refer to Autoweek readers, so do I stand corrected, in that "spin" refers to them, not us? But note that Autoweek seems to confirm and claim to make authoritive the story.

But regardless, it is a shame if the car is not to be. On the other hand all the comments seem to imply that the C6-Z06 will be more developed and different from the standard car that the current one. Is that the case? In that case, that is good news.

Regards,

Maybe the car that burned to the ground was the C6 prototype painted blue. If this burnt up car was the ''Blue Devil'', I hope this mishap will not sway GM from building this car. GM needs a car like this and I don't see how it would because im shure if GM wanted to being the biggest car company wanted to they could make it work, so I don't see how it would keep them from building it. With Bob Lutz around I think this car will be built. Like I have posted before, I heard from the women at cadillac during the DC autoshow, she said they are going to build the "Blue Devil".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom