Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What the heck? She just stopped running. Please help!

emf1367

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Coupe
The 75 L48 has a new motor and has been running like a top. Less than 10 miles on her but at least 20 hours of running time.

I put ten gallons of fuel in her after setting the timing last week. I turned her around in the driveway and then parked her in the garage. The next day she started and then began running REAL rough; moments later she died. Now she wont start.

The rotor points to #1 at the cap on the compression stroke so the timing checks okay.
I checked the spark at the plugs- Its strong.
I replaced the HEI Module- though it checked okay.
Plenty of Fuel and the filter is clean.
I give it gas and it sprays into the throat.
Today it ran for a moment then spit a spray of fuel out of the air horn. The air valve seems wetter than usual.
I've tried to troubleshoot it using the factory service manual but I'm stumped now.

Does anyone have any ideas? ;help

when you set the timing are you sure you tightened the distributor down?

been there done that...

is the choke stuck?

i take it that is the stock QJet on the car... so there are a couple of things some guys on here will certainly jump in with that you can check....

will it fire with the pedal held all the way down?

It takes 3 things to run:
1) Air
2) Fuel
3) Spark

Air is usually a given with a carb. You say spark is good. You say you have fuel.

To me, it sounds like 1 of 2 things.
1) carb needs tuning. It may be too rich, too lean, stuck choke, etc.
2) timing is off. You say it is a new engine. Do you mean a new engine, or an engine that is new to your corvette? Make sure the distributor isn't loose.

You say the distributor points to #1 at the top of the compression stroke, so i'd look more at the Carburetor than timing.

Good luck and let us know if we can help!

Interesting that you mention that. The ONE thing that I did right before it started running bad was to pour 5 gallons of fuel into it. The fuel came from a local deli mart that normally provides good fuel.

Is there an easy way to determine if there is water in the fuel? I ask because I've never had the problem before. I've been told there is a small amount of water in all fuel because of condensation in the storage tanks and the fuel tank in the car.

Okay, someone told me that I should spray starting fluid into the carb. If the car runs... that would indicate the carb is the problem.

It is the original Q-jet that was rebuilt after the original engine was rebuilt. Both were working fine until the other day. Weird!

I removed the fuel filter and it looked clean and undisturbed. I replaced it when the car was rebuilt.

I'm going to remove wach plug and inspect them. If they are okay then I'm going to try the starting fluid idea.

I really appreciate everyone ideas and suggestions.

wont start

Hello emf1367, If there is water in your tank, it always sits on the bottom
gaz floats on top, so disconnect the hose at the bottom,just before your filter approx 3to 4 inches from your tank, let approx 1 pint run into a clear bottle or big glass, you will see straight away if there is water in it because it sits near the bottom. If gaz is ok your problem must be in carb, as you stated you have good spark, you will get it going theres always a reason regards wayne.

I sent the Carb out to be rebuilt. The rebuilder said he didnt find anything obviously wrong with it. He said the problem may have been some dirt or something in one of the jets. I put the rebuilt carb on the engine and it fired right up and is running as strong as it did before it died.

Just one of those weird things in the world of Corvettes.

Thanks for the assistance everyone!:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom