Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What tires should I get for my Z06?

What tires should I put on my Black C5 Z06?

• Goodyear F1 Supercar (original equipment)

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Michelin PS2

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

agentf1

The original Goodyear F1 SC
or Michelin PS2
or Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

The Firestones are the best price but I am leaning towards the Goodyear since they are original equipment and I think they look best.

What did you do and why?

If other specify which tire and why?

It's tough to beat the F1 Supercar on C5 Zs as long as you want the same quality of grip the car had with its OE tires.

At this point in time, many have forgotten that the original market for the Z06 (ie the C5 verson) was hardcore enthuaists. To that end, GM had Goodyear create a hardcore driver's tire with the emphasis on dry traction over all other performance features.

That kind of performance requires a compromise in wet traction and tread life. This is not to say the F1 Supercar's wet traction is as compromised as that of some radial race tires but it is to say that wet traction is not as good as Goodyear's F1 GS-D3 or Michelin's Pilot Sport 2.

As for the Firestone Firehawk....as far as dry handling goes, it's not even in the same league as the Pilot Sport 2 much less being comparable to the F1 Supercar.

My 04 Z still has its original Supercars but the rears are pretty gone. I have a fresh set stacked in my storage, ready to go on.

The Wide Ovals might not be the best tires but lots of people like them and they are far cheaper and apparently not as noisy.

I have not experienced them myself but from the positive reviews people give them, they will be going on my car when my GYs are worn out.

A Quality Alternative

BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's.
Remo:cool

2525394420103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

2534691700103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

Check out the Falken 452s, I run them and love them. I have them on both of my cars. 05 Avy and 95 Vette

I have ordered the F1 Supercars but apparently they are on national back order. :mad

The only ones listed on Tirerack right now are the OE supercar tire, the Michelin PS2, and the Firehawk wide oval. I think all the BFG tires have been discontinued. This is in Z06 sizes, at least. Does anyone know any different?

I have ordered the F1 Supercars but apparently they are on national back order. :mad

Yep, front F1 Supercar tires are suppose to start back in production on 8/4. Don't have a date for the rears(Z06 sizes at least). I orderd the Michelin PS2 for my Z06.

I talked to Luke at Tirerack is where I got the info.

Costco could not get me any tires at all. The Goodyear are on national back order. The Michelin PS2 fronts are not being produced and it will be several months before they are available.

At Tirerack, they only had the Michelin PS2's in stock. There were no Firestone and no Goodyear. I bought a set of the PS2's while I still could.
They will be about $1360 shipped, plus installation.

or Michelin PS2

The Firestones are the best price but I am leaning towards the Goodyear since they are original equipment and I think they look best.

What did you do and why?

Toyo RA-1. This is the road race tire Toyo is winning with. I have a set on my ZO6 one size up on all four corners. They out-handle ANY of the other brands mentioned in this thread on both dry and wet roads. They are designed for road racing. They have 8/32nd inch tread new and wear out anywhere from 6,000 to 8,000 miles. If you want max handling on the street during the summer, these are the tires. Not too bad at the strip either when set at 22psi. Otherwise, go with the other brands (preferably the Michelin PS2) if you want a compromise and buy a set of drag radials for the strip. Oh yeah, these are NOT winter tires and don't do well at or below freezing.

Toyo RA-1 Tire Sizes

Hey Scatrat, what are the sizes that you went with?

Pac Man,

We went with 275-40ZR17 in the front and 305-35ZR18 in the rear. This maintains the car's same rake as the stock sizes.

Scat Rat

Price, Performance, Size Selections

Here's a prime example of a Z06 running BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's.
Remo:cool

diablo001.jpg

Anyone know what kind of rear turn signal lenses those are? And those wheels are awsome.

Hurray, tires finally in.

Hurray, tires finally in.

Where did you get them and what date codes are on them? Someone told me they got new OE Goodyear supercars a month or two ago from the Tire Rack but the manufacture date was 10th week of 2004!

Where did you get them and what date codes are on them? Someone told me they got new OE Goodyear supercars a month or two ago from the Tire Rack but the manufacture date was 10th week of 2004!
Don't know, I ended up sending them back since I am thinking about selling my Z06 and the tires on it are still ok. Didn't think new tires would get me any more money. That was a concern of mine since age was the only reason I was replacing them.

They were ordered from Action Tire in Aston Pa.

or Michelin PS2

What did you do and why?

:thumbI am 100% in favor of the PS2s. I've got them on my vert and my Z. I may be giving up a little something on the hi-speed side but overall traction and quiet are big with me.:thumb

I voted other. Nitto 555RII's. The F1's will definitely last a long time. They like dry roads the best with wear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom