Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to do with a Coupe's solid top thats still in Factory Plastic?

Rain

Corvette
2000 Coupe 6 speed
When we bought our 96 coupe this year, the owner had the acrylic bronze top in, and said it was all he ever used. In fact, he dug around the garage, and gave us the original factory solid top, still sealed in black plastic.

Guessing it doesn't quite match the paint shade anymore due to sunlight and age, So what do I do with it????

Thanks for serious and not-so-serious suggestions!

Rain

Not so serious - come to CT next winter and use it to go sledding down a hill!!

Serious - how far off is the paint?? Is it simething that is very noticable or just a little? If you leave it out in the sun in your backyard, will it "age"?

Just suggestions... I am not a paint aging expert!:beer

I would definitely keep it, whether you use it or not. As long as your car is stock anyway, it belongs with the car. Besides, the acrylic top is gonna craze on you eventually and you might want to swap tops. ;)

Y'ask fer 'pinons, ya get 'em. :L

_ken :w

Thanks you two.
Yes, the idea of a great corvette snow sled crossed my mind. or even a nice boogie board here on the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico..

Decisions Decisions! haha

Will probably take it out of the sealed plastic its in, and inspect the diff. paint hues after we move next month.
For now it resides in one of the spare bedrooms.

Very true re: the acrylic top. The front molding on it is already trying to come loose, and it doesnt always want to sit right on the vette when I want to torx it back on tight.
Already showing the sun crazing..
so guess Ill hold on to the orig. top!

Thanks again
Rain

Bright Aqua Metallic ! ! !

Rain--

I just LOVE you vette! I just recently purchased my 96 Bright Aqua Metallic and get many comments on the COLOR!

Is it BLUE or is it GREEN!

Anyway! I'm looking for a Blue Tint Top myself to go along with the Hard Top! Looking for those days when I can look up into the RAIN! Get it!
:_rock

Keep it!. I'm another one of those guys that sold off pieces of my 61 years ago for cheap, and am kicking myself now.

The 2 top option was exactly that, an option. Its part of your cars history. DONT SEPARATE IT FROM THE CAR!

And it doesn't take up all that much space,does it?

If and when you do sell your car, it will be a good bonus(still factory sealed) and might be the item that clinches the sale over all the other Vettes the potential buyer is looking at. Sorta like hanging on to the original window sticker. Jim

I will be very surprise if the color is way off. Highly doubt it. Install it and don't worry about it. Or keep it for later use. If you decide to sell it, you will have buyers even if it needs to be repainted to match the new owners vette. IMHO it looks better with a solid top installed.

Ya know, I had wondered what it might look like with that top on. Maybe one day I'll pop it on and see.

Mike: Thanks for the appreciative comment! These are unique paint colors. There is another aqua metallic here in Ocean Springs, but I have no idea what year c4 she is. Day time they are greenish, night time they go blue. Kinda like having 2 vettes in 1!

Thanks again for getting back to me on the "top " issue. Will keep it since it was an orig. option on the car.

Enjoy the sunny days - (headed to new orleans)
Rain

Rain, what a coincidence, but Corvette Magazine for June has a letter to the editor addressing this very issue. ;)

_ken :w

Thats cool Ken. Spose he had the same advice. Keep em since there were an original option with your vette.

Thanks for passing that along,
Rain

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom