Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to look at on a C-4 purchase

Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
While I am pretty familiar with solid axles, midyears, and sharks, I know next to nothing about the C-4 cars. I've been getting the bug lately, though, to venture into the '84-'96 series. I'm going to look at '94 LT-1 this weekend. I was hoping that those of you in the "know" could give me some pointers. Inherent weaknesses, problem areas, things to ask about, items on a car with 55,000 miles to be concerned with. Thanks in advance!

Dick

88 Anniversary

I have a shot at an 88 Anniversary. 100k mile driver car.....lots new(and I'm sure some wrong) , but, I've always liked em and they're kind of rare.

Any thing in particular I should look at on this car? It is badged, and the vin and carfax comes back ok. Thanks, Jim

A 94 LT1 vette benefits from 2 years of LT1 engine refinement and 10 years of chassis tweaking. My 92 was the first year of the LT1 and other than the Optispark (which they changed to a vented version in 94 that solved most of the no start problems) I have been very satisfied and have had no problems. There have been reports of the LT1 clocking 200,000 miles with little or no replacement parts other than normal maintenance items (I have only heard of this not witnessed it). The longevity of the engine will depend on oil and filter changes on a regular basis. Ask for all records for any work done on the car including oil changes and when. The rear intake manifold gasket has been prone to leaks. A few issues with the Bose sound system also. Ask if any modifications were done, i.e. New Prom Chip, Cat back system etc. These are common mods but may show that the owner has done more than just nomal flogging on the freeway or back roads. IF you are looking at a coupe ask if the window weather strip or removable top leak water. All-in-All this year vette is leaps and bounds over your other vettes that I see you own, unless they are highly modified, the 94 will out corner, and out accelerate. (not the 69 L88). These are my opinions only. Good luck and keep us posted...

Most definitely inquire about the Opti-Spark and the water pump. Are they the originals? If so, be aware that they are parts that are prone to failure, and are expensive to replace.

If a convertible, check the rear decklid for etching of the clear coat where the top contacts the decklid. Also check the conv. top for abrasion from the control links.

Be absolutely certain that the Bose system is in proper working order, they are known for crapping out. Check all functions such as, power seats (including the lumbar funtion if equipped), windows, door locks, mirrors, headlights, A/C, everything......

What you don't find now, will cost you later. Check the doorjambs for paint damage as these cars have a tendency to sandblast themselves there. All panels should be properly alligned. Does the car sit level? Carefully inspect the weatherstripping.

As mentioned, the intake is prone to leaking so inspect that area. Take a look at the underside of the hood for abrasion from the radiator shroud on the passenger side. All frame/suspension hardware should not appear "shifted" (a ring of a different color around the bolt). Take a look at the welds that appear at the front of the car's frame - do they appear to be factory or "after the fact"? Those welds cannot be duplicated, and they are often a tell tale sign of a front end impact. Check for overspray.

Service records are a big plus if available. Try to run a CarFax if you can as well. A CarFax will not show everything, but it's worth a try.

Good luck and take your time.

Something to check>>

I'd look under the chassis in the front and rear...make sure nothing looks bent or creased which might indicate it was wrecked at one time.

Also, something I noticed when I was looking around for mine is that a couple that I had looked at which seemed to be good deals had been run off the road at some point in thier lives and the floor pan under the driver's and passenger's seat were crunched in, but were hidden by the floor mats so you couldn't see from inside the car (They're just fiberglass), so check things like that.

Good luck

-Dave C. '97 Z28

Inside!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that we went over the mechanical points lets look at the interior.

Everything inside the car is mucho bucks period. l am leaving out the small stuff $50 and under.

Seats 900-1300
Carpets front 250
back 250
console approx 200
weatherstripping 1000
Rattles priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

l have the 96LT1 and it is supposed to be the most refined of the C4's, besides the LT4, but l have been in the 93-95's and there is no big difference except in one's head.

Before l forget, make sure you take a ride with the top off because some vette's will rattle so much that you will be forced to keep it on forever.

Besides all that we told you, just enjoy and read all of the posts regarding problems that your fellow vette owners go through.

You are going to be driving a vette and not a silky smooth and quiet import.

Alan

Thanks for all the replies and advice. If things work out as I hope, and the car checks out, I will enter the world of C-4 ownership this weekend! Thanks again!

Dick :cool

Okay, it's Monday, are you a C4 owner?

Ya, what gives? We all live vicariously with those purchasing a new vette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom