Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What was the 1st year for a 6 speed in a vette?

Deadlego

Corvette
1979 Corvette L82 4 spd
What was the 1st year for a six speed in a corvette?? I have friend who told me that they have a 6 speed in there vette but its old then 1979. They will not tell me a year but they did tell it was factory. All I could find is a 1989 was the 1st year for a six speed. Now Im not sure if its manual or a auto, so it might be either. Im not sure.

It is my belief that 89 was the first year for a six speed manual.

I seem to remember that '89 was the first year of the 6 speed. Before that, it was the 4 and 4+3 units, IIRC.

Yea thats what I was thinking. So if the car is older then 79 then the shifter was aftermarket.....

Yea thats what I was thinking. So if the car is older then 79 then the shifter was aftermarket.....

There are a lot of 5- and 6-speed conversion kits out there for older Vettes. A friend has a 5-speed Richmond in his '68 and it works very well. It's just not factory stock. 1989 was the first 6-speed manual Vette. The 4+3 was a 4-speed manual with a 2-speed automatic overdrive attached so it doesn't really count.

2006 is the first year for the 6-speed automatic.

For GM Junkie, it never went away... :D

well i found out today its a 2001 but it needs a BPMV and the EBCM so.... I need to talk to the owner and see whats the best price she can do for the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom