Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What Would You Do?

R

redvet

In an effort to obtain as “balanced” a set of responses as possible, I am posting this in the C3 General Discussion Forum and the C5 General Discussion Forum…

The scenario: You currently own a REAL NICE '82 (probably one of the nicest ones around; red with a black gut, all stock, a real attention getter). Besides your wonderful wife, it is your other pride and joy, and you really enjoy driving, cleaning and tinkering with it. You have said numerous times over the years that you never intend to sell it.

But then, as much as you love it, you're wife's not too crazy about it (rough ride/noisy/A/C not as good as today's cars/generally not what could be considered a comfortable car, especially by today's standards; you know how these cars are). Therefore, your wife is not always necessarily enthusiastic about driving or riding in it.

Say an opportunity presents itself that you might be able to obtain a brand new (2006 or 2007) C6, or if not that, an almost new C5.

You only have one garage space to house one Corvette. Would you keep the '82, and all of its "nostalgia coolness," and its needed tinkering that you immensely enjoy, or give up that stuff and sell it to provide a garage space for the newer car?

If I had to keep only one it would be the C5, because ultimately I drive my Vette daily and the C5 delivers much better pefformance, ride and gas milage.

If you really want to keep your C3 don't let the Wife ride in a C5/C6 ;)

Well there could be another answer. Get a four post lift and stack them. I've done it once and actually I'm planning on doing it again to make room for an additional car. Because two Vettes are so low it doesn't really take a great deal of headroom.

Don't sell'm, just buy'm ;)

I feel your pain. What does your wife's dislike of your car have to do with the enjoyment of your leisure time? I'm sure you give much to her in other ways don't you.

You are the only one who needs to decide if the joy of your wife as your vette companion will outway the feelings of loss for your cherished '82.

My beloved wife and I had the same type of love/hate relationship with my love of Harley's. Wife hates (and is deathly afraid of) bikes of all kinds. We compromised and bought the vette to share together. That was a good move to keep harmony in our family, but I still get infamously jealous every time I see a bike on the road, even when we're cruising in the vette with the top off.

You're going to be the best judge to make the correct decision. Our opinions should be of absolutely no use to you. You might as well take a pole on what colors we each like best. My 2 cents.

I had a 78 Sliver Anv. for over 19 years. My wife would never drive it and we seldom used it because I did not want it damaged and she did not like the ride. It only had 18,000 miles on it after 19 years. We also had a chance to sell it and get a C5. We did, and now I can't get her out of the C5 and we take it everywhere. She even makes me take the truck some days so she can use the Vette.

I used to own an '80 vette pretty much as you described the '82. Mine was black with the oyster gut. Sharp looking car. Like you, I always said I never get rid of it. Well to make a long story short, I got rid of it and eventually bought a C5. There was no looking back!!! My wife love's the car and so do I. The difference is night and day. I say go for the C5 or the C6.

Good luck in which ever you decide on!!!!

i like my c3 better only because it feel like ithink a corvette should
but thrc5 air works a heck of better gas mileage better ride
so that a guess i can take your c3 and care for it ;)

Get the newer C5,, much better. You had you fun with the older one now it's time for an upgrade :)

Well I will put my 2 cents in.

What is the 82 used for. Is it a sunday car then keep it. Or is it an everyday driver that comfort is the main concern?

I have a 66 C2 its a real fun car. Its a sunday car and for its purpose its a blast to own

We also have a 02 C5 We purchased new. When i bought it I figured we own it forever. Well now its 4 almost 5 model years old .12,000 miles on it and its just a used vette now out of warrenty and loaded with electronics that I am fearfull they will fail.

Every now and then I stop by this forum to see what kind of problems the C5 get as they get older.

Dont get me wrong our C5 is absolutely the best car I have ever owned.

Fast

Comfortable

Great gas milage

Affourdable

Great looking

Acutually when I was shopping for a C5 I was going to sell my 66 inoder to pay for the C5 Now 4 years latter I realize that would have been a bad choice.

Good luck in your choice

i would definately keep the older vett for joy rides , a little more gas to run but fewer potential problems i myself use my c4 way more than my c5

happy vett'n

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom