Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What year is this ?

G

gary b.

Hi everyone, even tho i own a 1978 vette,
i'm interested in C4's also, and would like to know a few thing's,
What is the best, most trouble-free year ?
What year were anolog gages first used?
What's the best engine\transmission combination ?
As with my 78, i would like to turn the key and enjoy!
Thank's for all your help. gary.:)

gary,

If you want to "turn the key and enjoy" I don't think a C4 is for you.

I have owned my '88 since early '94 and it's been a love/hate relationship. I LOVE driving it and HATE working on it. I have gotten WAY too many opportunities to work on it. I obviously really love driving it or I wouldn't put up with constantly working on it.

I am 53 and have probably owned about 25 different cars in my life, cars of all different brands and type. The Vette has been the most troublesome car of all by a factor of at least three.

I'm not complaining because as I say, I love to drive it, but that's been my experience. Everything has a price of some sort.

Good luck,

Different people have different experiences with any car... I have owned 3 C4's (with my family included we are up to 7) and all of them have been pretty trouble-free... there are things that I have fixed, but nothing has been that big of a deal... C4's are the most driven Corvettes ever... it is like that because that is what they were designed for.

To tell you which one is best... well, the newer the better... what is the budget? preferences on auto or stick? coupe or convertible? daily driver or weekender? With those questions I can point you in the right direction...

vettelt193,

I'm very happy for you regarding your good luck with a C4.

Would you be willing to share your lottery numbers with us?
:bu

Have a great day,

Out of the Corvette line

The C-4 is the most trouble FREE!

But that's not to say it does not have it's problems....

But compared to a C-3..it's cake.

92 LT-1 vert 6 speed would my choice if I had to get another.

But there ALL GOOD!

You just have to find a car that your ego wants and your wallet can afford!

( plus extra for repairs/mod's)

And ALL CARS BREAK...

Vig!

I like blackjack, the odds are better!

I have had some problems, but nothing really that was a big deal... The worst I have experienced was my '93 opti-spark going out (original unit lasted 100k miles) My original clutch was on the vette when I sold it at 104k... My mom's '93 never had a problem (except the bose CD player wanting to keep CD's for months at a time) the '91 had an alternator go once... the '87's... one had a clutch + OD go out, one had the coolant leak around the intake manifold, and the third had an ECM go (which blew about 7 lifetime warrantee alternators from discount auto parts)

My '96 has a couple of problems, I am in the middle of fixing... but nothing big enough to stop me from driving it... the parking brake still isn't functioning (this is turning into a frustrating experience, i will give you that!) and the drivers window needs a new guide. I think there are some good ones, some bad ones... some in the middle... I never think about the minor problems when I realize how good the prices are on these things... What other car can you buy for under 20 grand that will hang with a new porsche? I raced my '87 'vert against a ferrari testarrossa... We were even off the line to about 45 MPH... the guy looked really mad... I would be too if a guy driving a vette worth 15 grand could hang with my 200 thousand dollar car.

A 96 LT4 is my vote...

I bought mine with 23K on the clock. I had some problems but like all parts they can be fixed or replaced.

The best advice I have heard is when shopping for any Vette is to take your time, list what you want, buy with low miles and a low price tag.

The second peice of advice is don't fall for the first peice of fiberglass you drive.

I knew that I made the right choice when I started doubling the speed limits at corners and entered a 4 wheel drift!!! Made me dizzy.... really... I wasn't used to the forces going that fast around that tight of a turn!!! WHEW :J

The LT4 comes standard with a 6 speed and is offered only for the '96 model year. The newer the car the more refined you get. Also, LT4 is rated at 330 HP but test have shown that most turn out more. Of coarse I am biased and as always looking for more horses power.

Happy hunting.... it's worth the adventure.

96 LT4 6spd. Of course my opinion is biased. Guy

ZR-1 was my choice, only repair needed in 30,000 miles was a 29.00 power antenna kit. It installed in five minutes. I also have an 84 CF only repair needed in 78,000 miles was a new pinion gear yoke and a decent set of shocks. So every once in awhile a fellow does get lucky. Good luck in your search. 84 CF 91 ZR-1

The later the model the better as they were being refined each year. So if that is the only consideration, go with a '96. But in the real word go with the best car you can afford.

By the way, the combo analog/digital dash came out in '90.

tom...

vette pick

If you cant afford the LT1 or 4, get one with a 4+3 Transmission. It's the manual transmission with the automatic advantages. I've owned both (auto and 4+3) I'll never own another automatic vette. They should have never made the auto!

Everyday Vetter

Vrotate

Thank's alot everyone!
The final vote goe's to a 1996 ( LT1 or LT4, there both great!)
What's a good price to pay? (6 speed) & low miles)

Thank's again!:cool gary.

Something to think about........ZR-1 prices are in the ballpark of some LT-4 cars:dance

Jay

my 85 has been fairly trouble free, and very reliable. i do however drive it everyday (spring/summer/fall). if i was going to buy another everyday driver C4, i'd look at a '91 L98 auto - 50K mileage range. i think (JMHO) this would give you the biggest bang for the buck.

Joe C said:
my 85 has been fairly trouble free, and very reliable. i do however drive it everyday (spring/summer/fall). if i was going to buy another everyday driver C4, i'd look at a '91 L98 auto - 50K mileage range. i think (JMHO) this would give you the biggest bang for the buck.

Now here is a guy who has been doin' a LOT of reading ;LOL :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom